5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- dreaming occurs during ____ sleep.
- tricyclic antidepressants
- activation-synthesis theory
- a formed in response to Freud, he says that dreams are random as the result of random firings by neurons that the brain tries to make sense out of.
- b it means "physician created" -- most cases of insomnia are the result of this. In a large part because of withdrawal effects from sleeping pills.
- c REM
- d They block REM, but people are just fine. so it makes you question the need for REM sleep...
- e when two different cycles (core body temperature, and sleep-wake cycles become desynchronized). This suggests that there are more than one circadian timing mechanism, and that sleep is not casually related to decreases in body temperature that normally correlates with it.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- When a sleeper has come back down to one from 4, and they are at stage 1 again, they have a loss of muscle tone in the muscles of the body core.
- sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
- 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1 etc.
- 1. only lasts for an instant. False
2. some people say they don't dream. False.
3. erections mean sexual content. false.
4. sleep-talking and sleepwalking only occur during dreaming. false. can occur during any stage.
5. External stimuli can be incorporated into dreams. True.
- they are the same in bacteria, fish, and humans.
5 True/False Questions
REM deprivation studies show that → formed in response to Freud, he says that dreams are random as the result of random firings by neurons that the brain tries to make sense out of.
default theory → that REM is the default state of sleep. If your body needs to perform any other function, than it switches-out to NREM, but once everything is take care of, you switch back to the default state of sleep: REM.
5HTP → (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
________ sleep appears to play the major recuperative role. → Slow waves (Delta waves. )
Miss M → (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.