5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- f. All except e above.
- c. Barbados
- d. malaria
- a. crowd diseases
- b. Haiti
- a Through smallpox and European genocide, this island's indigenous people became extinct before the 16th century.
- b Sickle cell anemia confers resistance to
a. yellow fever
- c The 1793 yellow fever epidemic that struck Philadelphia originated in
- d The government of Ceylon and the plantation owners imported Tamil workers from southern India rather than employ the local Sinhala workers to work the coffee plantations for which of the following reasons.
a. The local Sinhala workers were unreliable.
b. The coffee harvest coincided with heavy labor demands for village agriculture.
c. The pay on the plantations was too low.
d. Paychecks were erratic/irregular.
e. The Ceylonese ruling class despised Hindus.
f. All except e above.
- e Pathogens that spread quickly & efficiently, cause acute rather than chronic illnesses, induce immunity and require a pop of sufficient density are characteristics of what kind of diseases?
a. crowd diseases
b. non-crowd diseases
c. chronic diseases
d. acute diseases
e. all bacterial diseases
f. epizootic diseases
5 Multiple choice questions
- Which of the following helped to minimize sleeping sickness in early African civilizations?
a. natural immunity
b. insecticidal control of the vector
c. avoidance of disease-prone village sites
d. clearing vegetation around villages
e. all of the above
f. c and d only
- Which of the following best explains the great Mayan collapse?
a. Pop increase, labor intensive agric., resource depletion, & human diseases.
b. Pop increase, poor weather & plant diseases.
c. Poor agric. technology.
d. Pop increase & poor agric. technology.
- Tamil Indians were brought to Ceylon by the French to harvest rubber in 1870. T/F
- The evolution of Cro-Magnon humans and the concomitant development of the use of tools is known as
a. The Rise of Civilization
b. The Recent Era
c. The Great Leap Forward
d. The Neolithic Era
- The first major outbreak of African sleeping sickness coincided with
a. European imperialism in the late 19th century
b. Portuguese slave raids in the 15th century
c. global warming
d. widespread use of DDT
e. all of the above
5 True/False questions
False → Hemileia vastatrix
False → Civilization developed in Africa and spread from there around the world. T/F
c. Mexico and Peru → By 1000 AD powerful empires had formed in which regions of the New World?
c. Mexico and Peru
d. northeastern North America
e. Mexico, Peru, and northeastern North America
f. Central America
True → Epidemics of yellow fever and the revolution in Haiti contributed to the French abandoning or liquidating their assets in the New World including the Louisiana Territory. T/F
Swidden/slash-burn/milpa → Sleeping sickness