292. Mother of 16 concerned because child sleeps until noon every weekend. What is approp. response?
1. Adolescents love to sleep late in the morning.
R: sleep patterns of adolescent vary according to individual needs. They love to sleep late, but s/b encouraged to be responsible for waking themselves.
293. 16 yr. old admitted to hospital for acute appendicitis, appendectomy performed. Which intervention most appropriate to facilitate normal growth and development?
4. Allow child to partcipate in activities w/other individuals in same age group when condition permits
R: Adolescents often not sure whether they want parents w/them when they are hospitalized. Because of importance of peer group, separation from friends is source of anxiety.
294. 2 yr. old treated in ER for burn to chest and abdomen. Child sustained burn from grabbing cup of hot coffee left on kitchen counter. Nurse reinforces safety principles w/parents before discharge. Which statment indicates understanding of safety measures?
1. We will be sure not to leave hot liquids unattended.
R: toddlers, w/their increased mobility and developing motor skills, can reach hot water, open fires, or hot object placed on counters and stoves above their eye level.
295. Mother of 4yr. old child expresses concern because her hospitalized child has started sucking his thumb. Mother states that this behavior began 2 days after hospital admission. Which is appropriate N response?
1. It is best to ignore behavior. R: In hospitalized preschooler, it is best to accept regression if it occurs, because it is most often caused by stress of hospitalization. Parents may be overly concerned about regression and s/be told that their child may continue behavior at home. No need to call physician.
296. Mother of toddler asks N when it is safe to place car safety seat in face-forward position. Which is best nursing response?
1. When toddler weighs 20 lbs. and is 1 yr. old.
297. Parents of 2 yr. old arrive at hospital to visit child. Child is in playroom and ignores parents during visit. This behavior in 2yr. old indicates:
1. A normal pattern.
R: Toddler particularly vulnerable to separation Toddler often shows anger at being left by ignoring parent or by pretending to be more interested in play than in going home. Parents of hospitalized toddlers are frequently distress by such behavior.
298. Which of following is most appropriate toy to provide to 3 yr. old?
2. A wagon.
R: Toys for toddler must be strong, safe, and too large to swallow or place in ear or nose. Toddlers need supervision at att times. Push-pull toys, large balls, large crayons, trucks, and dolls are some appropriate toys.
299. N is assigned to monitor 3 month old infant for increased intracranial pressure. On palpation of fontanels, N notes that anterior fontanel has not closed and that it is soft and flat. Which action s/N take?
2. Document the findings.
R: Anterior fontanel is diamond shped and located on top of head. It s/be soft and flat in a normal infant, and it normally closes by 12-18 mos. of age. Posterior fontanele closes by 2-3 mos. Therefore, because findings normal, N w/document the findings.
300. N caring for 5 yr.old placed in traction after fracture of femur. Which is most appropriate activity for this child?
2. Finger paints
R: In preschooler, play is simple and imaginative, and it include activities such as dressing up, finger paints, clay pasting, and simple board and card games. Large picture books are most appropriate for infant. A radio and a sports video are most appropriate for adolescent.
301. Select interventions appropriate for care of infant.
1. Provide swaddling.
4. Hang mobiles w/black and white contrast designs.
5. Caress infant while bathing or during diaper changes.