5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Iwo Jima
- Manhattan Project
- Selective Training and service Act
- Women's Auxiliary Army Corps
- a WAAC: May 15, 1942 women volunteers could serve in noncombatant positions; nurses, ambulance drivers, radio operators, electricians
- b a bloody and prolonged operation on the island of Iwo Jima in which American marines landed and defeated Japanese defenders
- c First peacetime military draft, 16 million men (21-35) were registered, 1 million drafted for one year- only to serve in the western hemishpere.
- d The doctrines of nationalism, racial purity, anti-Communism, and the all-powerful role of the State. The National Socialist German Workers Party, otherwise known as the Nazi Party. Nazism was advocated by Adolf Hitler in Germany.
- e code name for the secret United States project set up in 1942 to develop atomic bombs for use in World War II
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- "Lighting war", typed of fast-moving warfare used by German forces against Poland n 1939
- totalitarian dictator of the Soviet Union
- Complete control over citizens, individuals have no rights, government suppresses all opposition.
- name of the SECOND atomic bomb, dropped on Nagasaki
- Britain's new prime minister during WWII who pleaded for US aid and who viewed the signing of the Munich Agreement as appeasement.
5 True/False Questions
George Patton → United States military base on Hawaii that was bombed by Japan, bringing the United States into World War II. Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7, 1941.
Axis Powers → United States, Great Britain and the Soviet Union (Big 3)
Battle of the Bulge → December, 1944-January, 1945 - After recapturing France, the Allied advance became stalled along the German border. In the winter of 1944, Germany staged a massive counterattack in Belgium and Luxembourg which pushed a 30 mile "bulge" into the Allied lines. The Allies stopped the German advance and threw them back across the Rhine with heavy losses.
Mein Kampf → Book written by Adolf Hitler outlining his ideas about Nazism that became the plan of action for the Nazi Party.
Bennito Mussolini → totalitarian dictator of Italy