using chemical rxns to produce an electrical current
using electricity to make a chem rxntake place
Electrochem and electrolytic celss require
1. oxidation-reduction chemical rxns
2. a set of electrodes to provide electrical conact with the rxn mixture
3. the chemical rxn mixture must also contain ions in order to conduct electricity
Do Not Take Part In Any Chemical Reaction During Electrolysis
the electrode used on the area to be treated.
1. a sys thaqt generates electricity through the use of a spontaneous chemical reaction
2. two half reactions (oxidation/reduction)
3. electricity is measured in units of volts
Cell voltage, cell potential, electromotive force
the electricity is measured in units of volts
Standard H electrode
the cell voltage of all chemical half rxns is measured relative to ?????? whose voltage is arbitarily defined to =0
Pressure of H2 gas= 1atm
1.0 M HCL
Total standard cell potential
the sum of the standard cell potentials for each half rxn
If half rxns are ????? the more positive the E* the greater is its spontaneity
Use the sum of two half rxns. The more positive the more spontaneous is the rxn
if E*>0 the rxn is ?????
if E*<0 the rxn is ????
uses an electrical current to deposit a layer of a metal on another surface