← Theatre 241 Exam 3 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Jerome Kern
- " Our American Cousin"
- Textile Industry
- American Playwrights
- a Written by Tom Taylor Asa Trenchard Lord Dundreary played by English actor E.A. Southern also was done with Mic as Asa & Lord Dundreary and Elizabeth as Mary.
This play was also performed on April 14, 1865 at Ford's Theatre in Washington DC in attendence to this play was John Wilkes Booth(shot Lincoln), Abraham Lincoln, Mary Todd Lincoln(lincoln's wife), Major Rathbone(Military officer who tried to stop Booth from fleeing, but was stabbed in the process), Miss Clara Harris(fiance of Rathbone) Gen. Grant(General of the army), and Laura Keene(owner of theatre)
- b Strindberg in Scandinavia, etc.
- c died at age 60 in 1945 was Jewish German; Old Man River
- d Came in the 20th century they too used and liked realism
- e The flying shuttle, the spinning Jenny, and the cotton gin
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- author of O BEAUTIFUL
- First modern theatre in NYC was finished in 1869 had Modern orchestra area, balconies, and seats were individual armchairs
Stage was not raked but seats were and no groves but elevators and wing and drop from
- _______ loved vaudeville, Burlesque, minstrel shows, jugglers, animal acts, ballad operas, melodramas, and other light fare, Light opera, operettas, circus, wild west shows, variety, and medicine shows
- in 1859 came out with origin of species
- died at age 64 statue of him on B'Way he was the father of American Musical Comedy was Irish Catholic American, vaudeville first ugly american was brash, in your face, aggressive
5 True/False Questions
Alienation → to cause the audience to think and use their mind by not being comfortable
Eugene O'Neill → characters on the fringe - most famous play, family (his) Long Day's Journey also Moon for the Misbegotten - 4 Pulitzers (P) Desire Under the Elms, The Iceman Cometh, and Ah, Wilderness
Expressionism → Ibsen, Strindberg, Chekhov in Scandinavia, Russia, etc.
Showboat → premiered in 1927 written by Edna Ferber which was published in 1926 the music was done by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II produced by Florence Ziegfeld
was most profound influence on the American Musical
Oscar Hammerstein II → was a cigar manufacturer and built the first theatre on Times Square