← The Persian Wars Test
6 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- 499-493 BC; Persia starts caring about Greece; Temple at Sardis burned; satraps expelled; Ionians march to Athens.
- Runs from Athens to Sparta, Sparta to Athens, then Marathon to Athens. Then his heart bursts.
- Saw King Candaules' wife naked; became tyrant after killing king.
- 490 BC; Athenians decide to fight Persians. Spartans are occupied with a festival.
- Xerxes sent huge expedition to Greece 10 yrs after Marathon; met at Thermopylae.
- 480 BC; land battle (another Greek victory)
6 True/False Questions
490 BC → Persian King Darius sent punitive expedition to Athens/Marathon as punishment for Ionian Revolt
Leonidas → the one Spartan (king) who is allowed to leave the festival and fight with the Athenians. He brings 300 men
Herodotus → Father of History; "Historeai;" tells the story of Kresus; aims to bring the events of Persian War into perspective. Tells stories how he heard them.
Simonides → Poet who wrote "hey you" inscriptions on Spartan tombstones
Atossa → Saw King Candaules' wife naked; became tyrant after killing king.
Miltiades → Poet who wrote "hey you" inscriptions on Spartan tombstones