← The Persian Wars Test
6 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- Persian King Darius sent punitive expedition to Athens/Marathon as punishment for Ionian Revolt
- 480 BC; single most important battle. Persian and Athenian navies face off.
- 480 BC; land battle (another Greek victory)
- Father of History; "Historeai;" tells the story of Kresus; aims to bring the events of Persian War into perspective. Tells stories how he heard them.
- 490 BC; Athenians decide to fight Persians. Spartans are occupied with a festival.
- Xerxes sent huge expedition to Greece 10 yrs after Marathon; met at Thermopylae.
6 True/False Questions
Pheidippides → carried 70-80 lbs of armor!
Artemesia → Widow of Darius, mom of Xerxes; Main character in Aeschylus' play ("they call no man king, they are a free people!")
Candaules → king; "King of Persia"
hoplites → carried 70-80 lbs of armor!
basileus → carried 70-80 lbs of armor!
Leonidas → Poet who wrote "hey you" inscriptions on Spartan tombstones