5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Queen Anima
- Askia Muhammad
- a Governed the Hausa city-state of Zazzau in the 1500s.
- b these were the original inhabitants of North Africa.
- c these people also spoke a common language and originally belonged to a number of small city-states in the forests on the southern edge of the savanna in what is today Benin and southwestern Nigeria.
- d Drove Sunni Ali's son from power and ruled for 37 years. He set up an efficient tax system and chose able officials.
- e Ruler
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the Almohad followed his teachings. He criticized the Almoravid rulers for moving away from the traditional practice of Islam.
- Arabic blended with the Bantu language
- Rich families here lived in fine houses of coral and stone. They slept in beds inlaid with ivory and their meals were served on porcelain.
- the part of North Africa that is today the Mediterranean coast of Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco
- Mali's first great leader, came to power after crushing a cruel, unpopular leader.
5 True/False Questions
Mutapa → Emperor
Sahel → the savanna region just south of the Sahara.
Songhai → this group from the east of Mali built up an army and extended their territory to the large bend in the Niger River near Gao whic became the capital of their empire.
lineage → descendants of a common ancestor
Cowrie Shells → society that traces their ancestors through their fathers. Inheritence passes on from father to son.