5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Kansas Nebraska Act
- Robert E. Lee
- Harper's Ferry
- Battle of Bull Run
- Dred Scot Case
- a This Act set up Kansas and Nebraska as states. Each state would use popular sovereignty to decide what to do about slavery. People who were proslavery and antislavery moved to Kansas to try to make it either free or slave.
- b 1861, 1st major battle, proved war was going to be long and costly
- c General of the Confederates (South)
- d Landmark Supreme Court case in which the Missouri Compromise is found unconstitutional, Congress cannot place bans on slavery as it is the same effect as removing property without due process of law under the 6th Amendment, power must be left tot he states, and African Americans are not citizens.
- e 1859, Virginia, John Brown raids the Federal arsenal to arm slaves
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a moment in history that marks a decisive change, change of who is winning the war
- 1820 This law allowed 2 states to enter the Union (MAINE and MISSOURI) to maintain the balance of power in the senate of free to slave states. It also banned slavery in the lands of the Louisiana Purchase, North of the 36, 30' north latitude.
- U.S. statesmen, 16th president. Led Union to victory in Civil War. Assassinated. Sometimes called "Honest Abe".
- 1863, this three day battle was the bloodiest of the entire Civil War, ended in a Union victory, and is considered the turning point of the war
- Type of war in which an army destroys its opponent's ability to fight by attacking civilian and economic, as well as military, targets.
5 True/False Questions
Jefferson Davis → loyalty to one's own region of the country, rather than to the nation as a whole
Fugitive Slave Act → Law that provided for harsh treatment for escaped slaves and for those who helped them
Fort Sumter → Type of war in which an army destroys its opponent's ability to fight by attacking civilian and economic, as well as military, targets.
sectionalism → formal separation from an alliance or federation, the withdrawal of eleven Southern states from the Union in 1860 which precipitated the American Civil War
Presidential Election of 1860 → California is free, Fugitive Slave Act passed, popular soverignity used in Utah and New Mexico territories to settle the issue of slavery