5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Dred Scot Case
- turning point
- Compromise of 1850
- Gettysburg Address
- Ulysses S. Grant
- a Landmark Supreme Court case in which the Missouri Compromise is found unconstitutional, Congress cannot place bans on slavery as it is the same effect as removing property without due process of law under the 6th Amendment, power must be left tot he states, and African Americans are not citizens.
- b speech by Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War (November 19, 1963) at the dedication of a national cemetery on the site of the Battle of Gettysburg, key ideas were liberty, equality, and democratic ideas; purpose of war was to portect those ideas
- c Union military commander who won victories when others had failed and defeated Lee
- d a moment in history that marks a decisive change, change of who is winning the war
- e California is free, Fugitive Slave Act passed, popular soverignity used in Utah and New Mexico territories to settle the issue of slavery
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Type of war in which an army destroys its opponent's ability to fight by attacking civilian and economic, as well as military, targets.
- sequence of violent events involving Free-Staters (anti-slavery) and pro-slavery "Border Ruffians" elements that took place in Kansas Territory and the western frontier towns of the U.S. state of Missouri between roughly 1854 and 1858 attempting to influence whether Kansas would enter the Union as a free or slave state
- rights and powers independent of the federal government
- the presidential election of 1860 was won by Abraham Lincoln, the republican candidate. He won no southern states, which angered the South sparking states to seceed from the Union.
- After the burning of Atlanta Georgia on Nov 15 1864, he marched 300 miles to savannah and arrived there December 22nd 1864, his purpose was to destroy the South's supply chain and morale
5 True/False Questions
Fort Sumter → Federal fort in the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina; the confederate attack on the fort marked the start of the Civil War, no deaths
Missouri Compromise → 1820 This law allowed 2 states to enter the Union (MAINE and MISSOURI) to maintain the balance of power in the senate of free to slave states. It also banned slavery in the lands of the Louisiana Purchase, North of the 36, 30' north latitude.
Jefferson Davis → loyalty to one's own region of the country, rather than to the nation as a whole
Battle of Bull Run → 1863, Union gains control of Mississippi, confederacy split in two, Grant takes lead of Union armies, total war begins
Battle of Gettysburg → 1863, this three day battle was the bloodiest of the entire Civil War, ended in a Union victory, and is considered the turning point of the war