5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- atomic bomb
- National Recovery Act
- a part ownership in a company
- b part of the new deal. set standards for business and limit competition
- c A nuclear weapon in which enormous energy is released by nuclear fission. It was dropped by an American bomber on Hiroshima and Nagasaki destroying both cities. It showed that the US was more powerful and it ended the war quicker.
- d a sum of money used as a security deposit to ensure that an accused person returns for his or her trial
- e an army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- In this war, the United states declared war against Great Britain after they tried to obstruct America from trading with France during the Napoleonic Wars, by seize American vessels and taking sailors, claiming they were deserters from England's army. Three years later Andew Jackson did win a war, but it had been after the peace treaty was signed.
- a written authorization, by the court, that allows the police to thoroughly investigate a person accused of a crime
- If any person criticized the government they could be put into jail. This was a complete violation of the first Amendment to the constitution, which gives freedom of speech, religion, press, and assembly. this act was passed by John Adams.
- this act gave 160 acres of land to anyone who paid a small registration fee and lived on it as a homestead for five years.
- When the United States was about to go to war with France, this was passed to allow the country to kick people out if they were though to be a spy. Passed by John Adams.
5 True/False Questions
Marbury v. Madison → When the Midnight Judges Act was passed by John Adams, not all of the appointments were delievered to the new judges because he was not in office long enough. one of the new judges who had not recieved his appointment brought it to the Supreme court and the court ruled that Jefferson did not have to give up the appointments in this court case. also three new decisions were made for the Supreme Court. The constitution is the supreme law, it is the court's job to say what the law is and decided on the meaning of the constitution, and the courts can decided what laws are constitutional.
trial court → the first court before which the facts of a case are decided
Seward's Folly → named for the Secretary of State, at the time, who had purchased Alaska. this was first thought of as a waste of money becuase there was thought to be nothing in Alaska that was useful. Eventually there were many gold strikes there.
Plessy v. Ferguson → the president who pushed the Civil Rights Act through Congress
witnesses → people who were present at the time of the crime and can give important information to the jury about what actually happened