5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Paul's mother
- French brunette
- a Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
- b has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
- c cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.
- d first to have sex out of Paul's friends
- e dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.
- sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
- One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
- Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
- French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
5 True/False Questions
Lewandowski → School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
Franz Kemmerich → Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
Kantorek → School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
Paul Baumer → really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
Kindervater → School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.