5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Paul's mother
- Gerard Duval
- Franz Kemmerich
- a must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
- b French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
- c dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
- d Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
- e One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
5 Multiple choice questions
- Homesick a lot due to his wife and family at home. Loves animals.
- has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
- cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.
- School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
- first to have sex out of Paul's friends
5 True/False questions
Himmelstoss → noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
Albert Kropp → someone who attemps to save or kill a wounded dog but dies from his wound in the thigh
Muller → first to have sex out of Paul's friends
Tjaden → Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
Haie Westhus → wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.