5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Haie Westhus
- Franz Kemmerich
- a man who come back from the dying room
- b must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
- c wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.
- d Patient in the hospital where Kropp and Paul go. His wife comes to visit him and they have sex while everyone is turned around.
- e really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
5 Multiple choice questions
- One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
- company commander and a good guy. He loves his men, allows them to eat extra rations when Ginger the cook tries to withhold them, and he dies saving his company from the attack of enemy flamethrowers.
- School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
- noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
- cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.
5 True/False questions
Berger → someone who attemps to save or kill a wounded dog but dies from his wound in the thigh
Sergeant Oellrich → Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
French brunette → has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
Gerard Duval → French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
Mittelstaedt → noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.