5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Sergeant Oellrich
- a Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
- b noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
- c One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
- d man who come back from the dying room
- e Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
5 Multiple choice questions
- has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
- narrator and protagonist of novel; sensitive but detached; loses all innocence
- company commander and a good guy. He loves his men, allows them to eat extra rations when Ginger the cook tries to withhold them, and he dies saving his company from the attack of enemy flamethrowers.
- Soldier in a neighboring unit. bed-wetter
- First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.
5 True/False questions
Lewandowski → School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
Mittelstaedt → Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
Gerard Duval → Patient in the hospital where Kropp and Paul go. His wife comes to visit him and they have sex while everyone is turned around.
Josef Hamacher → First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.
Haie Westhus → wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.