5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Albert Kropp
- Paul's mother
- a noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
- b dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
- c One of Paul's best friends in the army; always analyzes war. Paul fakes a fever so he can travel to the hospital with him.
- d Soldier in a neighboring unit. bed-wetter
- e Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
5 Multiple choice questions
- School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
- company commander and a good guy. He loves his men, allows them to eat extra rations when Ginger the cook tries to withhold them, and he dies saving his company from the attack of enemy flamethrowers.
- One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
- sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
- Patient in the hospital where Kropp and Paul go. His wife comes to visit him and they have sex while everyone is turned around.
5 True/False questions
Tjaden → Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
Muller → really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
Detering → Homesick a lot due to his wife and family at home. Loves animals.
Peter → first to have sex out of Paul's friends
Ginger → cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.