5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Haie Westhus
- Franz Kemmerich
- Lieutenant Bertinck
- a company commander and a good guy. He loves his men, allows them to eat extra rations when Ginger the cook tries to withhold them, and he dies saving his company from the attack of enemy flamethrowers.
- b wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.
- c must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
- d Soldier in a neighboring unit. bed-wetter
- e someone who attemps to save or kill a wounded dog but dies from his wound in the thigh
5 Multiple choice questions
- First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.
- man who come back from the dying room
- Homesick a lot due to his wife and family at home. Loves animals.
- sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
- really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
5 True/False questions
Paul's mother → dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
Paul Baumer → really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
Tjaden → Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
Lewandowski → Patient in the hospital where Kropp and Paul go. His wife comes to visit him and they have sex while everyone is turned around.
Leer → first to have sex out of Paul's friends