5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Paul's mother
- Franz Kemmerich
- Gerard Duval
- Albert Kropp
- a One of Paul's best friends in the army; always analyzes war. Paul fakes a fever so he can travel to the hospital with him.
- b dying of cancer; brings out emotions in Paul. Bakes pancakes for Paul.
- c French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
- d Becomes a training officer and torments Kantorek when Kantorek must join the army.
- e must have leg amputated after suffering a wound. Dies early on in the novel. Many people want his boots.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Patient in the hospital where Kropp and Paul go. His wife comes to visit him and they have sex while everyone is turned around.
- wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.
- Soldier in a neighboring unit. bed-wetter
- narrator and protagonist of novel; sensitive but detached; loses all innocence
- sharpshooter the men encounter at the Catholic Hospital. When Paul tosses a bottle to quiet the loudly praying nuns, he takes blame. The men are shocked by his boldness, until they learn that he has a "shooting license" which means he was shot in the head so he isn't responsible for what he does so he can do anything.
5 True/False Questions
Muller → really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
Tjaden → One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
Kantorek → One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
Leer → man who come back from the dying room
French brunette → has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.