5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Lieutenant Bertinck
- Joseph Behm
- Haie Westhus
- a company commander and a good guy. He loves his men, allows them to eat extra rations when Ginger the cook tries to withhold them, and he dies saving his company from the attack of enemy flamethrowers.
- b Homesick a lot due to his wife and family at home. Loves animals.
- c wants to serve full time in the army after the war ends. was a peat-digger before the war. very large.
- d cowardly cook only talked about at the beginning of the novel.
- e First to die out of Paul's friends. Did not enlist in the army, but was pressured to go because of Kantorek.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Very thin and hungry all the time. Has a huge grude against Corporal Himelstoss. Had a bed-wetting problem in training camp.
- French soldier that Paul stabs in No-Mans Land and later feels very bad about. Has a wife and daughter at home.
- really wants Kammerich's boots when Kammerich is dying. Very practical; in Paul's group
- has interest in Paul until he tells her he is going on leave; she only likes the excitement of combat. 1 of 3 they see across the canal and swim to.
- One of Paul's best friend in the army; always is the one to find food or clothing when his group is in need. dies from a splinter in the head (shrapnel)
5 True/False Questions
Franz Kemmerich → Sniper that just shoots to try and kill people on the other side, never really aims just shoots. Had 3 kills in 1 day.
Kantorek → School teacher in Paul's high school that pushes them to join the army. Eventually is drafted in the army.
Leer → first to have sex out of Paul's friends
Himmelstoss → noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.
Mittelstaedt → noncommissioned training officer that thinks he has power over everyone. Torments Paul and his friends.