5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- They thought the Catholics would do whatever the Pope told them to do and would overthrow the Democracy in the U.S.
- He led 21 men into Harpers Ferry to seize the arsenal and then give them to slaves to begin a rebellion. He took 60 townspeople hostage to encourage the slaves to fight.
- Lincoln was a successful lawyer and local politician, but the people of Illinois didn't know him. He thought people would get to know him through the debates.
- Abraham Lincoln
- a Who was chosen as the Republican Candidate for President in the 1860 election?
- b Why did the "Know nothing party" dislike Catholics?
- c Why did Lincoln challenge Douglas to a debate?
- d What did John Brown do?
- e Did Lincoln believe that slavery should spread to the territories?
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- What kind of people were members of the "Know Nothing Party"?
- What did the "Know Nothing Party" do?
- When did the Whig Party split up?
- Who won the Senate race, Lincoln or Douglas?
- Who won the Presidency in 1860?
5 True/False Questions
Republican: Lincoln 1,865,593 votes, 180 electoral votes
Northern Democrat:Stephen Douglas1,382,713 votes, 12 electoral votes
Southern Democrat: J.C. Breckenridge 848,356 votes, 72 electoral votes
Constitutional Union: John Bell 592,906 votes, 59 electoral votes → Who were the candidates for President in 1856?
An abolitionist who plans to start a slave uprising. → Who was John Brown?
He sued for his freedom and his case went all the way to the Supreme Court? → What did Dred Scott do to gain his freedom?
He lost the vote in the South because he was against the Slavery Fugitive Act. → What happened to General Winifred Scott, the Whig Candidate for President in 1852?
They opposed the extension of slavery into the territories. They didn't want any more slave states. → What happened to General Winifred Scott, the Whig Candidate for President in 1852?