5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- The Consulate
- Total War
- How did the third Estate empower itself?
- The Directory
- How did Napoleon deal with the 3rd Coalition?
- a Uses military tactics such as speed, surprises Austrians and 50K surrender.
- December 1805: Austerlitz, defeats Russian and Austrian armies, Austria surrenders.
- b - Had the largest population
- Declared themselves the National Assembly
- c The channeling of a nation's entire resources into a war effort.
- d the Gov't of France from 1799-1804-from the fall of the Directory in the coup of 18 Bromaire until the start of the Napoleonic Empire. The term Consulate refers to this period of French history. During this period, Napoleon, as First Consul had established himself as the head of gov't in France but had not yet declared himself Emperor.
- e established after the Reign of Terror / National Convention; a five man group as the executive branch of the country; incompetent and corrupt, only lasted for 4 years
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- - Had to deal with Spanish Guerrilla Warfare.
- Portuguese and Spanish rebel, aided by the British.
- French lose 300,000 people.
- The panic and insecurity that struck French peasants in the summer of 1789 and led to their widespread destruction of manor houses and archives.
- French revolutionary leader (born in Switzerland) who was a leader in overthrowing the Girondists and was stabbed to death in his bath by Charlotte Corday (1743-1793)
- A violent mob that overtook Paris in the September of 1792 and killed half of the prison population of Paris.
Took place because the attackers suspected the prisoners were counter-nationalists and were plotting against the French republic/revolution.
- an 1805 naval battle in which Napoleon's forces were defeated by a British fleet under the command of Horatio Nelson.
5 True/False Questions
Why did the National Convention decide to put the king on trial and execute him? → -Peasant farmers bore the burden of taxation; had trouble paying regular taxes.
- Bourgeoisie often managed to gather wealth, but still upset that they paid taxes while nobles did not.
Storming of the Bastille → It occurred in Paris occurred on July 14, 1789. While the medieval fortress and prison known as the Bastille contained only seven prisoners, its fall was the flashpoint of the French Revolution and it subsequently become an icon of the French Republic.
Execution of the King and Queen → The National Convention
voted 387 to 334 to
execute the monarchs.
King executed January 21, 1793.
Marie Antoinette- October 1793
Napoleonic Code → 1793- Napoleon repels the British fleet in Toulon, France.
Olympe de Gouges → in the French Revolution, a radical group made up of the Parisian wage-earners and small shopkeepers who wanted a greater voice in gov't, lower prices, and an end to food shortages