5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- The Consulate
- St. Helena
- How should Napoleon's legacy be viewed? Positives/Negatives?
- How did French society change during the most radical phase of the Revolution?
- a Location of Napoleon's exile
- b Positive:
-Napoleon's code, nationalism.
-Military legacy- One of the greatest.
- Deaths of hundreds of thousands of French soldiers.
- French economy decreased.
- c - De-Christianization
- Revolutionary Calendar.
- No God, No Religion, No King, No Constitution.
- d the Gov't of France from 1799-1804-from the fall of the Directory in the coup of 18 Bromaire until the start of the Napoleonic Empire. The term Consulate refers to this period of French history. During this period, Napoleon, as First Consul had established himself as the head of gov't in France but had not yet declared himself Emperor.
- e the doctrine that nations should act independently (rather than collectively) to attain their goals
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Levee en Masse was the recruitment of men in the need to fight against European enemies. This was since the Coalition was formed against France.
- A violent mob that overtook Paris in the September of 1792 and killed half of the prison population of Paris.
Took place because the attackers suspected the prisoners were counter-nationalists and were plotting against the French republic/revolution.
- His decision to attempt to invade Russia, defeats at Waterloo and Leipzig.
- The directory was the new government that was enacted after the Reign of Terror.
-Five man group as the executive branch of the country; incompetent and corrupt, only lasted for 4 years
- military policy of destroying everything in the path so it can't be used by the enemy
5 True/False Questions
How did Napoleon deal with the 3rd Coalition? → • Embraces the
Jacobins in F.R.
• 1793-Repels British
fleet from Toulon
• Promoted to B.G.
• 1794-Arrested (T.R.)
• 1795-Saves the
Revolution with a
"whiff of grape shot"
• Promoted to General
What was the purpose of the Committee of Public Safety? → Combat internal and external threats to the Revolution.
Why was the Old Order unpopular with the majority of the people? → -Peasant farmers bore the burden of taxation; had trouble paying regular taxes.
- Bourgeoisie often managed to gather wealth, but still upset that they paid taxes while nobles did not.
Spanish Campaign → • Despite early treaty, Russia continues to
• Napoleon decides to invade
• Amasses army of ~500,000 (422,000-
• Invasion begins in June, 1812
• Remembered as one of history's greatest
Guillotine → Delegates in the National Convention who favored a republic but feared domination by Paris. Rivals of the Mountain and Jacobins.