← Ch.12 AP World History (Reunification and Renaissance in Chinese Civilization:The Era of the Tang and Song Dynasties) Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Kublai Khan
- Song Dynasty
Mongolian emperor of China and grandson of Genghis Khan; In 1271, he founded the Yuan Dynasty, and became the first Yuan emperor., He defeated the Song Dynasty in the process
Chinese ships equipped with watertight bulkheads, sternpost rudders, compasses, and bamboo fenders; dominant force in Asian seas east of the Malayan peninsula, especially in the Song and Tang Dynasty's were the BEST ships in the world.
- c Title granted to students who passed the most difficult Chinese examination on all of Chinese literature; became immediate dignitaries and eligible for high office
(960 - 1279 AD); this dynasty was started by Taizu(Zhao Kuangyin); by 1000, a million people were living there; started feet binding; had a magnetic compass; had a navy; traded with india and persia (brought pepper and cotton); first to have paper money, explosive gun powder; Also promoted the scholar gentry over the Military and Aristocracy*landscape black and white paintings, Dynasty that replaced the Tang
- e Independent Korean kingdom in southeastern part of peninsula; defeated Koguryo along with their Chinese Tang allies; submitted as a vassal of the Tang emperor and agreed to tribute payment; ruled united Korea by 668.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
During Wu's reign, the court frequently moved East to this location to recruit officials.
- Member of prominent northern Chinese family during period of Six Dynasties; proclaimed himself emperor; supported by nomadic peoples of northern China; established Sui dynasty. ALSO known as Tang Jian, Was murdered by his son (the Yangdi Emperor)
Known as Zen in Japan; stressed meditation and appreciation of natural and artistic beauty; popular with members of elite Chinese society
- Rulers of the Xi Xia kingdom of northwest China(Tibet; one of the regional kingdoms during period of Southern Song; conquered by Mongols in 1226, collected tribute that drained Song resources and burdened Chinese peasantry
- Kingdom north of the Song Empire; established by the Jurchens in 115 after overthrowing the Liao dynasty; ended in 1234.
5 True/False Questions
Khitan → Nomadic peoples of Manchuria; militarily superior to Song dynasty China but influenced by Chinese culture; forced humiliating treaties on Song China in 11th century
The capital city of the Tang Dynasty located in the Wei Valleywhere 2 million people lived during the 700s and 800s... it was the center of government, culture and trade.
Wang Anshi → Confucian scholar and chief minister of the Song emperor Shenzong in 1070s; introduced sweeping reforms based on Legalists; advocated greater state intervention in society.
Mahayana Buddhism →
Great Vehicle' branch of Buddhism followed in China, Japan, and Central Asia. The focus is on reverence for Buddha and for bodhisattvas, enlightened persons who have postponed nirvana to help others attain enlightenment. Main start in Tang Dynasty
Southern Song → Rump state of the Song Dynasty from 1127 to 1279; carved out of the much larger domains of the Tang and northern Song; Culturally, one of the most glorious reigns in Chinese history.