how found happiness, gift of faith
how achieve goals or defeat enemies - finds courage
needs help, has the gift of strength
tries to find own way, gains independence
gift of compassion, cares about other people that themselves
how I change the world, gains power
Three phases of a quest
DEPARTURE, ENCOUNTER, and a RETURN.
a set of primal memories common to the human race, existing below each person's conscious mind (see Carl Jung, above). The common psychological, instrinctive psyche of mankind.
a type of therapy where the patient is allowed to talk about whatever he wants while the doctor records his behavior. The doctor mostly listens and gives follow up questions. The study of the mind and the unconscious and it's also the therapy used to help people with psychological issues.
While psychoanalysis requires the person to learn about themselves, free association has no linear or preplanned agenda. Used in psychoanalysis as a cure. You can say whatever comes to mind; unfiltered thoughts.
Phallic symbols for a male
banana, necktie, gun, snake, snowboard, pencil, train, hot dog, twinkies, knife, telephone pole, candlestick, key, hammer, beehive hairdo, ice cream cone, lollipop, baseball bat, trombone, empire state building, electrical plut, lightbulb, etc.
Phallic symbols for a woman
box, doorway, cheerios, rabbit hole, kitty cat, fuzzy handbag, tunnel, bagel, doughnut, oven, vase, keyhole, open mouth, ring, bundt cake, toaster, lips, gloves, electrical socket, lightbulb socket
Narrator (Sergeant X)
• First half of story, he is a first-person narrator. Gentle and optimistic
• Second half of story, he is Sergeant X, broken down and changed by wartime. So disguised (as Sergeant X), that we can't recognize him (changed a lot from war)
Clay (Corporal Z)
• Sergeant Z's (narrator's) somewhat "war buddy."
• Opposite of narrator - cheerful and emotionally untouched by the war. Although he may not understand Sergeant X's condition, he is sympathetic towards him
• Five years old, Esmé's brother. Far less polished than Esmé. He is a little kid, unaware of the horror that has happened in his life. Contains total innocence and blissful ignorance.
Impulsive part of unconscious- makes you do things without thinking
Moderates the ID and superego
Outside influences and info