5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Nuvo Homo
- Plebian Assembly
- 3rd Punic War
- 1st Punic War
- a The Romans defeated the Carthaginians for good. Romans wipe out Carthage, genocide=mass murder campaign
- b "Favoring the people"=power of the people, aristocratic leaders in the Republic who relied on the people's assemblies. Tried to eliminate gap of rich vs poor.
- c the "new man" - the rising middle class
- d Also called the popular assembly-holds most of the population, 12 tribunes, lower house, made the system work by establishing what we needed more of.
- e Sicily, Romans and Carthaginians fought over Sicily. After a long struggle, a Roman fleet defeated the Carthaginian navy.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- (410 A.D.), invaded by Alaric and later the Vandals who were an East Germanic tribe that entered the late Roman Empire during the 5th century, best known for their sack of Rome in 455.
- 149-146 B.C., Cato the Elder, only 3 years long, Romans burned everything of Carthage and poisoned the land, the few Carthaginians that survived were made Roman slaves, genocide, mass murder campaign, was committed and that was the end of Carthage.
- 133-31 B.C., Roman domination of the Mediterranean Sea has weakened and threatened the process of building an empire and the stability of Rome. Civil War of the Roman Republic. Begins as a fight between the power of the people (populares) and the power of the wealthy (optimates). Riled up by the Gracchi Brothers. These Punic wars have wrecked the Roman economy and psychology.
- Digests-judicial decisions and opinions
Institutes-summery of laws (most important part)
Index-an index of the laws
- "Best Men"=power of the wealthy, aristocratic elite in the Republic. Attempted to safeguard privileges of rich, land owners, greed
5 True/False Questions
Jugurtha → King of Numidia, Africa. Fights in wars against Rome for territory in North Africa. Sulla was able to bring an end to the war in Rome's favor.
Brutus → let us be sacrificers, but not butchers. "E tu Brutas"-Caesar
Carthage → Latin for head. Today the word capital meaning head of the government.
Reign of Caesar Augustus → After the First Jewish-Roman War a siege of the fortress by troops of the Roman Empire led to the mass suicide of the Zealots rebels.
Punic Wars → Fought over 125 year period, 1st and 2nd wars last 20 years, the 3rd lasted 3 years. Huge turning point for the Romans politically.