12 centuries of rome
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Sacred Geese Myth
- Why are there 2 consuls at a time?
- Julius Caesar
- a Geese are sacred in Rome, A section of the Roman walls were built weak and the enemies decide to climb these walls at night when the Romans aren't watching and as they come over the walls the geese spot them and go crazy which awakes and saves the city.
- b Starts out okay then goes CRAZY
-Dresses like different god every day
-thinks he is god
-Declared war on Neptune...
-Made his horse senator and tried to get it elected consul
-Killed one sister and slept with the others
-Murdered by Praetorian Guard
- c Two at a time for protection to prevent one from taking over.
- d defender of the Aristocracy, opportunist, military leader who sides with Senate and overthrows Marius; says he wants to be leader of the optimists, takes over when Marius dies from strokes and executes anybody who supports Marius, Sulla ends up retiring, which dictators never do, and eventually dies peacefully.
- e First Roman to land on England, divide and conquer, world class military commander=inspiring, loyal, motivating, supports the oligarchy of populares vs optimates despite the economic warfare, He is a populares, Sulla wants him dead because he was related to Marius, Caesar stays in hiding until Sulla dies. Assembled the illegal First Triumvirate. Takes over Gaul; at the end of his rule in Gaul, he crosses the Rubicon (49 BCE) and initiates civil war within Rome. Defeats Pompey. Returns to Rome as a dictator. Stabbed to death by Senators in 44 BCE.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- (410 A.D.), invaded by Alaric and later the Vandals who were an East Germanic tribe that entered the late Roman Empire during the 5th century, best known for their sack of Rome in 455.
- 280 B.C. Fights the Romans over land and wins, but might as well have lost because he walked away with his troops .
- real power center for Greek thought, which becomes a universal town where the Bible was translated into Greek. Alexandria library goes up in flames, greeks translate jewish testament, Greeks and Romans together =Hellenism
- slave revolt (70 B.C.), leader of slave rebellion, 6,000 spartacus slave fighters are layed out 60 miles on the streets and killed because they revolted against the great power of Rome. Spartacus fought for liberty.
- (Apogee of the Roman Empire 116 A.D.) saw Christians as potentially dangerous, responsible for final expansion of the Roman Empire.
5 True/False Questions
YEAR OF THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE → (69 A.D.), Galba, Otho, Vitellius, Vespasian
Gaius Gracchus → the stoic emperor, author of Meditations.
Tried to strengthen and protext Roman Boundaries
LAST EMPEROR OF THE PAX ROMANA
Pompey → (2) twin rulers w/ "imperium" Two officials from the patrician class were appointed each year of the Roman Republic to supervise the government and command the armies.
Sejanus → Son of Vespasian, Had his political rivals executed in AD 79, -During his reign, three important events occurred: 1. Mt. Vesuvius erupted, wiping out the city of Pompeii and Herculaneum, 2. -While supervising relief work for the destroyed cities in Campania, a great fire broke out in fire and destroyed many important buildings and documents, 3. -A bad plague broke out
Tiberius Gracchus → Proposed law to take land back from Senators and give it to the landless; Very popular with the masses (poor people); Senates organized a riot where he was killed. First political bloodshed; violated the most sacred of tribunes.