5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Webster Hayne Debate
- War Hawks
- Second Bank of the United States
- Results of War of 1812
- Bank War
- a Huge surge of nationalism.Andrew Jackson becomes a war hero which pushes him into the presidency. He changes the complexion of democracy. Federalists die out. U.S. gains foreign respect.
- b Those nationalist members of Congress who strongly supported war with Great Britain, included Henry Clay and John C. Calhoun.
- c Jackson vs. Bank & Biddle; Jackson begins taking out funds and putting them into pet banks, successfully "killing" the bank; leads to fluctuation in economy and eventual panic
- d Similar to 1st bank but with more capital; it could not forbid state banks from issuing notes, but its size and power enabled it to compel the state banks to issue only sound notes or risk being forced out of business.
- e ___ argues for sanctity of Union- states created Union and have right to nullify, state supremacy. ____ argues that states have bond w/ fed govt that nullification or secession can't break
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Adams, Jefferson, and Burr: Adams lost, Jefferson and Burr tied, Hamilton convinced other Federalists to vote for Jefferson to break the tie. Led to 12th Amendment: Required electoral college to vote separately for Pres and VP
- The U.S., under Jefferson, bought the Louisiana territory from France, under the rule of Napoleon. The U.S. paid $15 million for the Louisiana Purchase, and Napoleon gave up his empire in North America. The U.S. gained control of Mississippi trade route and doubled its size.
- The program for building roads, canals, bridges, and railroads in and between the states. There was a dispute over whether the federal government should fund ____, since it was not specifically given that power by the Constitution.
- After ____ lost to ___ as a Republican, he switched to the Federalist party and ran for governor of
NY. When he lost, he blamed ___ (a successful Federalist politician) of making defamatory
remarks that cost him the election. He challenged him to a duel... and killed him :O
- created the precedent of judicial review; ruled on many early decisions that gave the federal government more power, especially the supreme court
5 True/False Questions
Orders in Council → Britain blockaded the ports of France and its allies, thereby preventing neutral nations from trading with these nations
Frederick Douglass → Britain blockaded the ports of France and its allies, thereby preventing neutral nations from trading with these nations
Judicial Review → the power of the Supreme Court to declare laws and actions of local, state, or national governments unconstitutional
Marbury v. Madison → Those nationalist members of Congress who strongly supported war with Great Britain, included Henry Clay and John C. Calhoun.
Henry Clay → Persuaded Congress to accept the Missouri Compromise, which admitted Maine into the Union as a free state, and Missouri as a slave state