5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Sojourner Truth
- Protective Tariff
- Bank War
- Election of 1840
- Era of Good Feelings
- a American abolitionist and feminist. Escaped from slavery to become a leading preacher against slavery and for the rights of women.
- b Whigs united, borrowing campaign tactics from the Democrats and inventing many of their own. Resulted in Whig victory and a truly national two-party system.
- c Raised duties to meet need for increased revenue and demand for greater protection. Defended industries established during War of 1812
- d Terms of President James Monroe in which Democratic-Republicans were only political party, and people therefore assumed that political discord had evaporated
- e Jackson vs. Bank & Biddle; Jackson begins taking out funds and putting them into pet banks, successfully "killing" the bank; leads to fluctuation in economy and eventual panic
5 Multiple choice questions
- Adams, Jefferson, and Burr: Adams lost, Jefferson and Burr tied, Hamilton convinced other Federalists to vote for Jefferson to break the tie. Led to 12th Amendment: Required electoral college to vote separately for Pres and VP
- a home-market system developed by Henry Clay that had a strong banking system, a protective tariff, and a network of roads and canals
- Establishes the Supreme Court's power of Judicial Review
- A convention of New England merchants who opposed the Embargo and the War of 1812. They proposed some Amendments to the Constitution and advocated the right of states to nullify federal laws. Discussed secession!
- After ____ lost to ___ as a Republican, he switched to the Federalist party and ran for governor of
NY. When he lost, he blamed ___ (a successful Federalist politician) of making defamatory
remarks that cost him the election. He challenged him to a duel... and killed him :O
5 True/False questions
Monroe Doctrine → Forbade further colonization in the Americas and declared that any attempt by a foreign country to colonize would be considered an act of hostility
Jacksonian democracy → The U.S., under Jefferson, bought the Louisiana territory from France, under the rule of Napoleon. The U.S. paid $15 million for the Louisiana Purchase, and Napoleon gave up his empire in North America. The U.S. gained control of Mississippi trade route and doubled its size.
John Marshall → Those nationalist members of Congress who strongly supported war with Great Britain, included Henry Clay and John C. Calhoun.
Treaty of Ghent → Ended the War of 1812 and maintained prewar conditions
Results of War of 1812 → Huge surge of nationalism.Andrew Jackson becomes a war hero which pushes him into the presidency. He changes the complexion of democracy. Federalists die out. U.S. gains foreign respect.