5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The work of Jean-Baptiste Chardin can be compared to the Dutch artist ____________
- Who was Thomas Gainsborough?
- a) What other art type does Watteau often paint? (b) Describe it.
- The finest Rococo paintings were of __________.
- Describe Thomas Gainsborough's contribution to English painting.
- a Lebrun
- b the favorite portrait artist of British high society
- c Vermeer
- d Charles I hunting-
showed the aristocracy as close to their land, was a privelage to hunt. They are relaxed in a landscape setting
- e cemmedia dell'arte
improv. comedy which uses stock characters (the innocent girl, the wise servant...)
5 Multiple choice questions
- decorative arts
luxurious furnishings, tapestries
- helped bring about 1st school of English painting since the Middle Ages that had more than local importance
- Poussin and Rubens
they both painted the same lady
5 True/False questions
What is striking about Gilles and Four Other Characters (Pierrot)? → Poussin and Rubens
Name one lady Rococo painter who enjoyed great fame. → Lebrun
What is outstanding about the Tomb of the Maréchal de Saxe by Jean-Baptiste Pigalle? → recaptures grandeur of Baroque
an elevated stage space that projects forward
What happened to costuming during this period? → authentic costumes as part of the trend toward greater realism in theater
a) Who was Antonio Vivaldi? (b) What great work is he most famous for? → originally trained as a priest, father was a violinist