5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is striking about Gilles and Four Other Characters (Pierrot)?
- Describe Thomas Gainsborough's contribution to English painting.
- When does the Rococo period take place?
- Name one lady Rococo painter who enjoyed great fame.
- a) Who was Antonio Vivaldi? (b) What great work is he most famous for?
- a life-size, you can relate to it, not a stock character
face and pose have poignancy that suggests a sense of alienation
- b Lebrun
- c Charles I hunting-
showed the aristocracy as close to their land, was a privelage to hunt. They are relaxed in a landscape setting
- d 1710-1774
- e originally trained as a priest, father was a violinist
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Painted by many artists, theater reform
subjects did not conform to any categories
scenes of fashionable people or actors in park-like settings
- cemmedia dell'arte
improv. comedy which uses stock characters (the innocent girl, the wise servant...)
5 True/False Questions
a) The Rococo flourished first and foremost in what area? (b) Describe what is meant by this term. → decorative arts
luxurious furnishings, tapestries
Compare and contrast the two paintings of Mrs. Siddons. → Gainsborough painted a traditional, bright 3/4 pose
Reynolds painted more academically, used history painting and posed Mrs. Siddons in an allegorical pose, more Venetian/Baroque
The work of Jean-Baptiste Chardin can be compared to the Dutch artist ____________ → Vermeer
Who was Thomas Gainsborough? → the favorite portrait artist of British high society
What happened to costuming during this period? → authentic costumes as part of the trend toward greater realism in theater