The easiest way to get started
Quiz yourself by typing answers
Hear the words and type them in
Multiple choice, true/false, matching
Match terms as fast as you can
Defend Earth from alien invaders
1. Short, balanced 4 bar phrases
2. 2 or more contrasting themes in a movement
3. Predictable and simple
5. No improvisation
1. Major/Minor tonalities
2. Contrast of tonic/dominant keys
4. Strong tonal centre
5. Harmonic stability
1. Clearly defined and regular
2. Many rhythmic patterns
3. Sudden and gradual shifts in note lengths
4. Unexpected pauses
1. Frequently homophonic
2. Some shifts between homophonic and polyphonic
1. Fortepiano replaces harpsichord
2. String quartet
3. Classical orchestra: "Noah's ark"
4. Variety and rapid changes
5. Contrast between brass, woodwind and string sections
1. Several movements contrasting in character and tempo
2. Often fast, slow, dance-related, fast
3. Symphony (4 mvmnts)
4. Sonata (2-4 mvmnts)
5. String quartet
6. Ternary form
7. Theme and variations
8. Minuet and trio
9. Rondo form
1. Common use of gradual change - cresc. and dim.
2. Little use of terraced dynamics
Context and composers
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions above and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see