← Chapter 3 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- staple crop
- indentured servant
- melting pot
- John Locke
- a the mixing of cultures, ideas, and peoples that has changed the American nation. The United States, with its history of immigration, has often been called a melting pot.
- b A square normally 6 miles on a side. The Land Ordinance of 1785 divided much of the United States into a series of townships.
- c English empiricist philosopher who believed that all knowledge is derived from sensory experience (1632-1704)
- d crops grown for commercial sale, usually produced in a colonial area and sold in europe. Most important crop grown in that area.
- e A migrant to British colonies in the Americas who paid for passage by agreeing to work for a set term ranging from four to seven years.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Religious revival in the American colonies of the eighteenth century during which a number of new Protestant churches were established.
- A philosophical movement which started in Europe in the 1700's and spread to the colonies. It emphasized reason and the scientific method. Writers of the enlightenment tended to focus on government, ethics, and science. Many members of the Enlightenment rejected traditional religious beliefs in favor of Deism, which holds that the world is run by natural laws without the direct intervention of God.
- English mathematician and physicist
- Credited with starting the Great Awakening, also a leader of the "New Lights."
- number of males per 100 females in a populations.
5 True/False Questions
Jonathan Edwards → American theologian whose sermons and writings stimulated a period of renewed interest in religion in America (1703-1758)
Half-Way Covenant → A Puritan church document; In 1662, the Halfway Covenant allowed partial membership rights to persons not yet converted into the Puritan church; It lessened the difference between the "elect" members of the church from the regular members; Women soon made up a larger portion of Puritan congregations.
heliocentric universe → sun center of universe; developed by copernicus
established church → crops grown for commercial sale, usually produced in a colonial area and sold in europe. Most important crop grown in that area.
promissory note → a written contract with a promise to pay a supplier a specific sum of money at a definite time