5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- gender ratio
- natural increase
- established church
- The Enlightenment
- Benjamin Franklin
- a population growth measured as the excess of live births over deaths; does not reflect either emigrant or immigrant movements
- b Printer, author, inventor, diplomat, statesman, and Founding Father. One of the few Americans who was highly respected in Europe, primarily due to his discoveries in the field of electricity.
- c number of males per 100 females in a populations.
- d the church that is recognized as the official church of a nation
- e A philosophical movement which started in Europe in the 1700's and spread to the colonies. It emphasized reason and the scientific method. Writers of the enlightenment tended to focus on government, ethics, and science. Many members of the Enlightenment rejected traditional religious beliefs in favor of Deism, which holds that the world is run by natural laws without the direct intervention of God.
5 Multiple choice questions
- American theologian whose sermons and writings stimulated a period of renewed interest in religion in America (1703-1758)
- This theory made in the 17th and 18th centuries stated that god made a covenant or pact with "the elect" that when man fell, the elect would be saved.
- Journalist who questioned the policies of the governor of New York in the 1700's. He was jailed; he sued, and this court case was the basis for our freedom of speech and press. He was found not guilty.
- Religious revival in the American colonies of the eighteenth century during which a number of new Protestant churches were established.
- The Virginia Company's system in which settlers and the family members who came with them each received 50 acres of land
5 True/False questions
"invisible" charges → the church that is recognized as the official church of a nation
township → A square normally 6 miles on a side. The Land Ordinance of 1785 divided much of the United States into a series of townships.
promissory note → the mixing of cultures, ideas, and peoples that has changed the American nation. The United States, with its history of immigration, has often been called a melting pot.
John Locke → A square normally 6 miles on a side. The Land Ordinance of 1785 divided much of the United States into a series of townships.
indentured servant → population growth measured as the excess of live births over deaths; does not reflect either emigrant or immigrant movements