5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What form of energy is found in the food we eat?
- Substance present in the greatest amounts
- (+) positive charge in the nucleus
- a Chemical energy- as you digest food (metabolism) it is broken down and ATP is formed to power processes in the body.
- b Atoms in which the outermost energy level contains fewer than eight electrons tend to gain,lose, or share electrons with other atoms to achieve stability. (incomplete)
- c solvent
- d Protons
- e (glucose + fructose) a complex carbohydrate found in many plants and used as a sweetening agent
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- electron shells
- Electrical energy - In your body, electrical currents are generated when charged particles called ions move along or across cell membranes. The nervous system uses electrical currents, called nerve impulses, to transmit messages from one part of the body to another.
- is defined as the capacity to do work, or to put matter into motion.
- are polymers of simple sugars linked together by dehydration synthesis. (storage products)
- molecule of a compound.
5 True/False Questions
Atomic number → is equal to the number of protons in its nucleus.
Mass number → is the sum of the masses of its protons and neutrons.
a substance that releases hydrogen ions (H+) in detectable amounts. also defined as proton donors. → Acid
Lipids → are insoluble in water but dissolve readily in organic solvents such as alcohol. contains carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.
when the precise balance of (+) and (-) charges is lost so that charged particles are formed → Ion