5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- product rule
- homozygous dominant
- cytosine (C):
- a A molecule composed of a nitrogen base, a sugar, and a phosphate group; the basic building block of nucleic acids.
- b The basic unit of eukaryotic chromosome structure; a ball of eight histone molecules that is wrapped by two coils of DNA.
- c A pyrimidine base that pairs with guanine.
- d The probability of two independent events occurring simultaneously is the product of the individual probabilities.
- e Refers to a genotype such as A/A.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- In a human pedigree, the person who first came to the attention of the geneticist.
- A chain of linked nucleotides (having deoxyribose as their sugars). Two such chains in double helical form are the fundamental substance of which genes are composed.
- The inheritance pattern of genes found on the Y chromosome but not on the X chromosome (rare).
- The subset of the genome found in the mitochondrion, specializing in providing some of the organelle's functions
- An allele whose phenotypic effect is not expressed in a heterozygote.
5 True/False Questions
model organism → A polymorphism with only two forms.
molecular genetics → An experimental procedure that begins with a cloned segment of DNA or a protein sequence and uses it (through directed mutagenesis) to introduce programmed mutations back into the genome to investigate function.
gene → The entire complement of genetic material in a chromosome set.
self → The fundamental physical and functional unit of heredity, which carries information from one generation to the next; a segment of DNA composed of a transcribed region and a regulatory sequence that makes transcription possible.
product of meiosis → One of the (usually four) cells formed by the two meiotic divisions.