5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Bill of Rights
- Second Treatise of Government
- Nicholas Poussin
- a French, perhaps greatest Enlightenment thinker. Deist. Mixed glorification and reason with an appeal for better individuals and institutions. Wrote Candide. Believed enlightened despot best form of government.
- b 1689, no law can be suspended by the king; no taxes raised; no army maintained except by parliamentary consent. Established after The Glorious Revolution.
- c Russian dynasty, started with Michael Romanov after the Time of Troubles and lasted until the revolution of 1917 and the execution of Nicholas II.
- d (1690) Written by Locke, Government created to protect life, liberty, and property.
- e French classical painter who painted the Rape of the Sabine Women, known as the greatest French painter of the 17th century.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Land owning aristocracy in early Russia.
- Art style that focuses on pastels, ornate interiors, and sentmental portraits.
- French philosopher. Wrote "The Spirit of Laws". Said "Power checks power". Separation of powers. Form of government varies according to climate.
- Believed people were born like blank slates and the environment shapes development, (tabula rasa). Wrote Essay Concerning Human Understanding, and Second Treatise of Government.
- Economic theory of maintaining balance of exports and imports. The opposite of socialism and communism.
5 True/False Questions
Jean-Baptiste Colbert → an advisor to Louis XIV who proved himself a financial genius who managed the entire royal administration. Proposed mercantilism as best policy for economy.
Maria Theresa → Land-owning aristocracy in Hungary.
New Model Army → philosophy that a state's strength depends upon it's wealth
Royal Society of London → (1748) Montesquieu, about separation of powers.
Petition of Rights → (1628) Limited the power of Charles I of England. a) could not declare martial law; b) could not collect taxes; c) could not imprison people without cause; d) soldiers could not be housed without consent.