5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a noun
1. the act of saving anything from fire, danger, etc.
2.the property saved
3.to save from shipwreck, fire, etc.
- b -noun
1.a flat, dull, or trite remark, uttered as if it were fresh or profound.
2.the state of being flat, dull, or trite
- c -noun, plural -mas.
1.a person or thing detested or loathed:
2.a person or thing accursed or doomed to damnation or destruction.
3.a formal ecclesiastical curse involving excommunication
- d noun
1. a loud, confusing, disturbing noise or clamor; din, uproar
2. social excitement, gaiety, or dissipation.
3. (the rackets) an organized illegal activity, often violent.
4. a dishonest scheme, trick business.
6. Slang for an (easy, profitable) occupation, livelihood, or business.
- e noun
1.a tomb, grave, or burial place (easter sepulcher), a cavity in a mensa for containing relics of martyrs.
2. a structure or a recess in some old churches in which the Eucharist was deposited on Good Friday and taken out at Easter in commemoration of Christ's entombment and Resurrection.
-verb (used with object)
3.to place in a sepulcher; bury
5 Multiple choice questions
- verb (with object)
1. to assail with contemptuous or opprobrious language; address or speak of abusively.
2. to speak abusively
1.extreme, excessive patriot; a war monger who favors violent foreign policy
1. of jingoes/jingoism
5.by jingo! Informal: I know you can do it, by jingo!
- deserving or causing hatred; hateful; detestable
1. to take in and incorporate as one's own; absorb
2. to adapt/adjust/conform with the customs, attitudes, etc., of another group, nation etc
1.disposed to be silent or hesitant to speak; reserved, reluctant or restrained
5 True/False questions
physiognomy → -noun
1. the function or work of a teacher; teaching, education, instruction
cumulus → a heap, or Puffy, white clouds that tend to have flat bottoms
exhort → -adjective
1. having high (sometimes hypocritical) reverence for God/virtue/authority or an earnest wish to fulfill religious obligations.
2. falsely earnest, devout or sincere
3. pertaining to religious devotion; sacred
ignominious → adjective
1. marked by or attended with ignominy; discreditable; humiliating
2. bearing or deserving ignominy; contemptible.
vilified → verb (with object)
1. to give life to; animate; quicken.
2. to enliven; brighten; sharpen.