What are the three steps involved in career planning?
1. Identify what you are good at.
2. Match your skills to existing jobs.
3. Match your career goal to your financial need.
What other influences can have an effect on your career path?
1. Your hopes and dreams
2. Influence of family and friends
Name a possible barrier to getting a job.
Age, gender, weight, religion, race
Before you can research occupations or develop your resume, you should:
1. Make a list of your skills.
2. Identify what you value in a job.
3. Make a list of your personal interests and discover your occupational ones.
4. Identify what life and/or job experiences you have had.
5. Research what education you will need to achieve your career goal.
What are skills?
Skills are something you do well.
What are the two categories of skills?
1. Soft skills
2. Hard skills
Give an example of a soft skill.
Soft skills are personality traits such as being optimistic, mature, intelligent, lazy, caring for others, being a planner, etc.
Give an example of a hard skill.
Hard skills are also called technical skills such as computer-related skills; assembling, constructing or repairing things; creating and designing; writing; proofreading; playing an instrument, etc.
In order to be able to compete globally, all students should possess what types of skills?
Employers agree that, in order to compete for jobs and be globally competitive, all students should possess 21st century skills.
What are the four C's of 21st Century skills?
3. Critical thinking
What are values?
Values are things in your life that are important to you.
What are the ways you can gain experience if you have yet to have a job?
1. Get a part-time or summer job.
2. Gain an internship or a mentor.
4. Create high-quality class projects.
5. Find work through a Temp Agency.
How does education pay?
Education pays in higher earnings and lower unemployment.
What are the two systems of higher education in Pennsylvania?
1. State-related universities--Commonwealth System of Education.
2. State-owned universities--Pennsylvania State System.
What are personality inventories?
Personality inventories are a way of looking at what you have in common with other people.
Who you really are is determined by what?
As you explore your personality, you begin to understand that who you are is really determined by the choices you make.
What are the five components of digital literacy as defined by 21st Century skills?
1. Search strategies
2. Information credibility
3. Dealing with information overload
4. How to write for an online environment
5. Presentation skills