Unit 1 - Career Planning
|What are the three steps involved in career planning?|| 1. Identify what you are good at.|
2. Match your skills to existing jobs.
3. Match your career goal to your financial need.
|What other influences can have an effect on your career path?|| 1. Your hopes and dreams|
2. Influence of family and friends
|Name a possible barrier to getting a job.||Age, gender, weight, religion, race|
|Before you can research occupations or develop your resume, you should:|| 1. Make a list of your skills.|
2. Identify what you value in a job.
3. Make a list of your personal interests and discover your occupational ones.
4. Identify what life and/or job experiences you have had.
5. Research what education you will need to achieve your career goal.
|What are skills?||Skills are something you do well.|
|What are the two categories of skills?|| 1. Soft skills|
2. Hard skills
|Give an example of a soft skill.||Soft skills are personality traits such as being optimistic, mature, intelligent, lazy, caring for others, being a planner, etc.|
|Give an example of a hard skill.||Hard skills are also called technical skills such as computer-related skills; assembling, constructing or repairing things; creating and designing; writing; proofreading; playing an instrument, etc.|
|In order to be able to compete globally, all students should possess what types of skills?||Employers agree that, in order to compete for jobs and be globally competitive, all students should possess 21st century skills.|
|What are the four C's of 21st Century skills?|| 1. Communication|
3. Critical thinking
|What are values?||Values are things in your life that are important to you.|
|What are the ways you can gain experience if you have yet to have a job?|| 1. Get a part-time or summer job.|
2. Gain an internship or a mentor.
4. Create high-quality class projects.
5. Find work through a Temp Agency.
|How does education pay?||Education pays in higher earnings and lower unemployment.|
|What are the two systems of higher education in Pennsylvania?|| 1. State-related universities--Commonwealth System of Education.|
2. State-owned universities--Pennsylvania State System.
|What are personality inventories?||Personality inventories are a way of looking at what you have in common with other people.|
|Who you really are is determined by what?||As you explore your personality, you begin to understand that who you are is really determined by the choices you make.|
|What are the five components of digital literacy as defined by 21st Century skills?|| 1. Search strategies|
2. Information credibility
3. Dealing with information overload
4. How to write for an online environment
5. Presentation skills