US History 8: Unit 1 Vocabulary
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- John Smith
- Christopher Columbus
- William Penn
- a The founder of the Quakers; the Pennsylvania colony was named after him
- b The ownership of human beings for the purpose of using them as a free labor force
- c Saved Virginia from collapsing at the start; was Virginia's governor; demanded people work for food
- d First permanent English settlement along the North American east coast (in Virginia) established in 1607. It struggled to survive before the colonist began growing and exporting tobacco for profit.
- e Italian navigator who unintentionally discovered the New World in the service of Spain while looking for a westward route to Asia
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Italian explorer who returned to Europe in 1295 after a 17 year sojourn in China
- an economic system in which people or private parties invest money or "capital" into a business in order to make a profit.
- In 1620 the 41 male passengers on the Mayflower agreed on a set of rules to govern over themselves. They agreed to accept majority rule and participate in an elected government for the best interest of all members of the colony.
- A colony in which investors were granted rights and privileges by the English monarch (king). Colonists ruled, elected Governors, councils, upper and lower house elected by property owning people. (Virginia, Connecticut, Rhode Island, where established this way)
- In 1620, a group of Pilgrims (separatists) set sail for Virginia on a ship called the Mayflower. The ship went off course and landed far north of Virginia, off the coast of present day Plymouth, Massachusetts.
5 True/False Questions
Royal Colonies → colonies that were under the direct control of the English crown, Colonies where governors were appointed directly by the King. The governors frequently ran into trouble with colonial legislatures, which resisted control from across the Atlantic. (Massachusetts,Virginia, New Hampshire, North Carolina, South Carolina, New Jersey, New York, & Georgia where established this way)
New Spain (Spanish Colonies in the New World) → Massachusetts New Hampshire Connecticut and Rhode Island. They had a short growing season long and cold winters, rocky soil and Forests and economy was based on trading shipping and ship building
New England Colonies → Massachusetts New Hampshire Connecticut and Rhode Island. They had a short growing season long and cold winters, rocky soil and Forests and economy was based on trading shipping and ship building
Middle Colonies → New York New Jersey and Pennsylvainia. had fertile soil moderate winters warm summers and a good growing season and economy was based on farming mineing craft jobscash crops grain manufacturing and trade
Quakers → Group of religious pacifists lead by William Penn