5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- frontal precipitation
- coriolis effect
- how large bodies of water affect weather and climate
- temperate grassland
- a mid-latitude storms. cold, dense air pushes warm, light air upwards causing precipitation to form
- b this heats and cools more slowly than adjacent landmasses, so itmoderates temperatures there. it doesnt get super hot or super cold.
- c have no trees and shrubs. are also found in less tropical ecosystems and thus have a larger temperate fluctuation during the year. temperature can vary greatly which has a large impact on growing seasons. less rainfall
- d tries to force winds to shift towards the right or left. can at times cause winds to blow back up the pressure gradient. the rotation of the Earth causes something on free moving objects on the Earth. objects in the Northern Hemisphere are deflected to the right, while objects in the Southern Hemisphere are deflected to the left. this is caused by earth's rotation on its axis
- e in the southern hemisphere, this is what temperate grasslands are referred as
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- taiga cover the lands in this climate zone, especially in canada and russia. huge temperature variations between summer and winter. summers are short and cool, winters are always very cold. temps at freezing or below freezing last five to eight months of the year.
- the tendency of land to experience more thermal variation than water, due to the land's lower specific heat capacity. tends to be dryer than oceanic climate as there is less moisture input to the atmosphere from evaporation.
- making a circle around another object. once earth makes one of these, one year has passed. this plus the tilt of the earth causes seasons
- a giant wave caused by an underwater earthquake or volcanic eruption
- high water levels brought by a cyclone that swamps low-lying areas
5 True/False Questions
grasslands → mostly flat regions dotted with a few trees. other names include: savanna, steppe, prairie, pampas
desert → side of the mountain with rain shadow
greenhouse effect → an interdependent community of plants and animals.
biome → what degree is earth tilted on its axis?
tornado alley → states from texas through nebraska that recieve lots of tornadoes between the months of may and october