5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- base-isolated building
- moment magnitude scale
- a number assigned by geologists based on the Earth quakes size
- b the shaking and trembling that results from the movement of rock beneath the earths surface
- c building designed to reduce the amount of energy that reaches the building during an earthquake.
- d Stress force that squeezes rock until until it folds or breaks
- e a rating system that estimates the total energy released by an earthquake
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- same as a reverse fault except the blocks move in the opposite direction
- rating of an earth quake's magnitude based on the size of the seismic waves.
- a large area of flat land elevated high above sea level
- water displaced by an earthquake grows into a mountain of water as it approaches shallow
- occurs when an Earthquakes violent shaking suddenly turns loose soft soil into liquid
5 True/False Questions
SYNCLINE → a fold in rock that bends downward to form a valley
seismograph → stress force that pulls on the crust stretching rock so that it becomes thinner in the middle.
tension → stress force that pulls on the crust stretching rock so that it becomes thinner in the middle.
anticline → a fold in rock that bends downward to form a valley
s wave → A type of seismic wave that compresses and expands the ground.