5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- hanging wall
- base-isolated building
- mercalli scale
- a the rock on a normal fault that hangs above
- b developed to rate earthquakes according to the level of damage at a given place.
- c a large area of flat land elevated high above sea level
- d building designed to reduce the amount of energy that reaches the building during an earthquake.
- e occurs when an Earthquakes violent shaking suddenly turns loose soft soil into liquid
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Stress force that squeezes rock until until it folds or breaks
- A type of seismic wave that compresses and expands the ground.
- an earthquake that occurs after a larger earthquake in the same area.
- same as a reverse fault except the blocks move in the opposite direction
- a fold in rock that bends upward into an arch
5 True/False Questions
normal fault → the fault is at an angle so one block of rock lies above the fault while the other block lies below the fault.
Richter Scale → developed to rate earthquakes according to the level of damage at a given place.
friction → stress force that pulls on the crust stretching rock so that it becomes thinner in the middle.
stress → A type of seismic wave that moves the ground up and down or side to side.
seismograph → instrument that records and measures seismic waves