5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- P wave
- a a force that acts on rock to change its shape and volume.
- b stress that pushes a mass of rock in two opposite directions
- c a large area of flat land elevated high above sea level
- d A type of seismic wave that compresses and expands the ground.
- e Stress force that squeezes rock until until it folds or breaks
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- instrument that records and measures seismic waves
- the rock on a normal fault that hangs above
- an earthquake that occurs after a larger earthquake in the same area.
- water displaced by an earthquake grows into a mountain of water as it approaches shallow
- number assigned by geologists based on the Earth quakes size
5 True/False Questions
moment magnitude scale → a rating system that estimates the total energy released by an earthquake
strike-slip fault → same as a reverse fault except the blocks move in the opposite direction
SYNCLINE → a fold in rock that bends upward into an arch
foot wall → the rock on a normal fault that lies below.
anticline → a fold in rock that bends upward into an arch