5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Richter Scale
- P wave
- a A type of seismic wave that compresses and expands the ground.
- b the force that opposes the motion of one surface as it moves across another surface
- c rating of an earth quake's magnitude based on the size of the seismic waves.
- d a fold in rock that bends upward into an arch
- e stress that pushes a mass of rock in two opposite directions
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- number assigned by geologists based on the Earth quakes size
- building designed to reduce the amount of energy that reaches the building during an earthquake.
- occurs when an Earthquakes violent shaking suddenly turns loose soft soil into liquid
- the shaking and trembling that results from the movement of rock beneath the earths surface
- a fold in rock that bends downward to form a valley
5 True/False Questions
moment magnitude scale → developed to rate earthquakes according to the level of damage at a given place.
epicenter → the force that opposes the motion of one surface as it moves across another surface
reverse fault → the fault is at an angle so one block of rock lies above the fault while the other block lies below the fault.
seismograph → instrument that records and measures seismic waves
tension → the force that opposes the motion of one surface as it moves across another surface