5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- hanging wall
- base-isolated building
- a the force that opposes the motion of one surface as it moves across another surface
- b an earthquake that occurs after a larger earthquake in the same area.
- c water displaced by an earthquake grows into a mountain of water as it approaches shallow
- d building designed to reduce the amount of energy that reaches the building during an earthquake.
- e the rock on a normal fault that hangs above
5 Multiple choice questions
- the fault is at an angle so one block of rock lies above the fault while the other block lies below the fault.
- instrument that records and measures seismic waves
- number assigned by geologists based on the Earth quakes size
- occurs when an Earthquakes violent shaking suddenly turns loose soft soil into liquid
- a fold in rock that bends downward to form a valley
5 True/False questions
surface wave → a type of seismic wave that forms when P waves and S waves reach Earth's surface
shearing → a fold in rock that bends downward to form a valley
tension → the force that opposes the motion of one surface as it moves across another surface
stress → a force that acts on rock to change its shape and volume.
reverse fault → same as a reverse fault except the blocks move in the opposite direction