5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- moment magnitude scale
- mercalli scale
- strike-slip fault
- a developed to rate earthquakes according to the level of damage at a given place.
- b rocks on either side of the fault slip past each other sideways, with little up or down motion
- c a rating system that estimates the total energy released by an earthquake
- d the point on the Earth's surface directly above the focus of an earthquake
- e instrument that records and measures seismic waves
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the shaking and trembling that results from the movement of rock beneath the earths surface
- an earthquake that occurs after a larger earthquake in the same area.
- a fold in rock that bends upward into an arch
- a large area of flat land elevated high above sea level
- same as a reverse fault except the blocks move in the opposite direction
5 True/False Questions
magnitude → number assigned by geologists based on the Earth quakes size
Richter Scale → rating of an earth quake's magnitude based on the size of the seismic waves.
normal fault → same as a reverse fault except the blocks move in the opposite direction
P wave → A type of seismic wave that compresses and expands the ground.
stress → a force that acts on rock to change its shape and volume.