- A symbolic way to make sense of the world.
- A human construction.
The Purposes of a Theory
- Organize experiences
- Anticipate events
- Extend our knowledge
- Stimulate further research
Metaphors for Theories
- A Net
- Pair of Lenses
- A Map
- Objectivist view
- helps us get our hands around whats going on / how to understand by grouping and organizing.
- Can have holes / exceptions.
Pair of Lenses
- Interpretive view
- Calls our attention to certain things/ details.
- Change perception of the world.
- Downside: many focus on the wrong thing, bad to look at the world through only one.
- Mix of Both Objectivist and Interpretivist
- We need theory to guide us through unfamiliar territory.
- Communication is like an ever changing land. (Complicated)
What Communication Scholars Study
- Studies numbers
- Surveys and Data
- Studies words.
- Textual analysis, ethnography.
- Cause and effect
-"is" not "ought"
- Means of persuasion, public, argumentation, power, and beauty of language.
- Signs and symbols.
- Shifts in meaning
- Pictorial imagery
- (re)Production of culture, processual, Sapir Whorf Hypothesis
Sapir Whorf Hypothesis
- Structure of a language shapes what people think and do.
- The social construction of reality.
- Marxist critique
- Social Action
- Noise reduction
- Information processing
- Shannon and Weaver model
- Individual stories
- Empathic cncern
- Subjective experience
- Best thing to do
Symbolic Interactionism (Mead)
- Socio- Cultural tradition
- Students complied notes to publish his work in a book titled "Mind Self and Society"
- Perceptions differ from student to student making the thoery "muddy".
3 Core Principles of Symbolic Interactionism
- It is human nature to assign meaning to everything we see/ encounter.
- How we assign meanings; naming, default assumptions.
- minding, taking the role of another.
- What to hear/ what to say.
Looking Glass Self
- Perception of yourself when considering the way that you think people think about you.
- How you see yourself
- Your true self
- How others see you or how you want them to see.
- Conscious effort of putting your best foot forward.
- Individuals you have relationships with.
- Society as a whole.
Expectancy Violations (Burgoon)
- Socio-Psychological Tradition
- Violation Valence
Interaction Adaption Theory (Burgoon)
- Extension and expansion of Expectancy Violation Theory
-How people adjust once an expectation has been violated.
3 Key Priciples of Interaction Adaption Theory
-Socio-psycological tradition & Rhetorical tradition
- Deals with role category questionaire.
Role Category Questionaire
- Free response survey designed to measure the cognitive complexity of a persons interpersonal perception.
- Mental ability to distinguish subtle personality/ behavior differences among people.
- The main component of cognitive complexity
- The number of sperarte personality constructs used to portray the person in question.
Social Penetration Theory (Altman & Taylor)
- Socio-Psychological Tradtion
- Self-Disclosure and Closeness
- Bredth and Depth
Chief Metaphor for Social Penetration Theory
- An Onion
How Self Disclosure is related to closeness
- The more you tell someone about yourself and the more they tell you about themself, the closer you are to them socially.
- Conversing with someone about few subjects, but go very into detail about them.
- Conversing with someone about a lot of subjects, but dont go into much depth about any of them.
Social Exchange Theory
- You take your rewards and compare them with your costs in a relationship.
- What you give up in a relationship
- What you gain from a relationship
- rewards minus costs.
- A standard for relational satisfaction.
Comparison Level of Alternatives
- The best outcome in other relationships.
- How happy you aer in a relationship.
- If you have a low comparison level and meet someone who has a high comparison level, you may leave for the higher person.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions above and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.