5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- the Downs
- Elizabeth I
- Don Quixote
- Defender of the Faith
- a A book written by Cervantes. The book was written to satirize the chivalric romances then in popular Spain.
- b Spanish Catholic that mocked the medieval notions of chivalry with his book Don Quixote. He was the "greatest Spanish author of all time."
- c At the Battle of _______, the Dutch destroyed a Spanish armada of 77 ships, contributing to the permanent of Spanish naval power in the Atlantic.
- d Title given by Pope Paul III to England's Henry VIII prior to England's break from the Catholic church.
- e England's ablest and most popular monarch. She made a compromise between Protestantism and Catholicism for the Anglican Church.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Author of the Spiritual Exercises and founder of a monastic order which had as its aim the spread of Catholicism through education.
- Battle in which Gustav Adolphus was killed, thus ending any real hope the protestants had against Emperor Ferdinand.
- After St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, Elizabeth the I signed it to provide English soldiers and cavalry to the Netherlands (1585)
- Phillip II's war against the Ottoman Empire in defense of the Catholic Church
- Hapsburg general who led the HRE in winning what is known as the Danish phase of the war.
5 True/False questions
Consistory → A special body of enforcing moral discipline that was set up as a court to oversee the moral life and doctrinal purity of the Genevans; had the right to punish people who deviated from the church's teachings and moral principals. (Council of 12 church elders)
Benefices → Church offices granted by the ruler of the state or the pope to an individual. The selling of positions.
Clement VII → King that broke with church for political reasons. He wanted to divorce his wife, Catherine of Aragon, but couldn't. Broke ties with the CC and replaced it with the Church of England which was basically CC without a pope.
Cardinal Granvelle → Ananbaptists, Mennonites, Spiritualists, and Anti-Trinitarians are all what?
Gustavus Adolphus → At the Battle of _______, the Dutch destroyed a Spanish armada of 77 ships, contributing to the permanent of Spanish naval power in the Atlantic.