If you purchase a new desktop computer today, what type of expansion board NIC is it most likely to contain
3. Which two of the following IRQs could you probably assign to a NIC without causing a conflict with preassigned devices
c. 9 & 11
4. A certain computer on your Fast Ethernet network seems to be acting sluggish. After ensuring the 10/100 Mbps NIC is not malfunctioning, you decide to find out whether it's configured to transfer data at 10 Mbps rather than 100 Mbps, as it should be. How could you find this information and change it, if necessary
d. By modifying the NIC's EEPROM settings using its configuration utility Note: Answer C, "by modifying the NIC properties through the operating system," is also acceptable, as this is possible on some systems.
5. Suppose computers on your home office network are connected to a single hub (A), but now you need to expand the network. You purchase another hub (B). Assuming you use a straight-through (not a crossover) cable, what port on hub A will you use to connect it to hub B
a. Any open port except the uplink port
6. You and a friend decide to set up Fast Ethernet networks in your respective houses to connect a half-dozen computers. Both of you will connect your networks to high-speed Internet connections. As the connectivity device for end nodes, you purchase a router, whereas your friend purchases a 12-port hub. Which of the following will your network do that your friend's network won't do
a. Filter traffic based on IP address.
7. You are a network technician working on a 100Base-T network. A coworker has been having trouble logging on to the server and asks whether you can quickly tell her if her workstation's NIC is operating properly. You do not have the NIC's utility disk on hand, but you look at the back of her workstation and learn that although the NIC is properly installed and connected to the network, something's wrong with it. What might you have seen that causes you to come to this conclusion
d. None of its LEDs are lit.
8. How do bridges keep track of whether they should forward or filter frames
b. They maintain a filtering database that identifies which frames can be filtered and which should be forwarded, based on their destination MAC address.
9. Which of the following is an advantage of using switches rather than hubs
b. Switches can assign dedicated channels to every node, making their transmissions more secure.
12. You are asked to configure a backbone switch that connects servers supplying oceanic and atmospheric data to mariners and pilots around the world. Your network's traffic load is very high at all times, day and night. What type of switching do you configure the switch to use?
b. Store-and-forward switching
14. Suppose your company's network contains two separate VLANs. Computer A is on the Customer Service VLAN and Computer B is on the Warehouse VLAN. Besides a Layer 2 switch, what device is required for Computer A and Computer B to exchange data
16. Why can't routers forward packets as quickly as bridges can?
Routers operate at Layer 3 of the OSI model and, therefore, take more time to interpret logical addressing information.
18. What switching technique allows you to funnel traffic belonging to more than one VLAN through a single switch interface
19. Which of the following identifies the VLAN to which each piece of data belongs
a. A tag added to each frame's header
21. Which of the following types of routing protocols allows routers to exchange information about best paths with their neighboring routers only
22. Why is a large, busy network more likely to use dynamic routing?
d. Because dynamic routing automatically selects the most efficient route between nodes, reducing the possibility for human error
23. A packet on a network using the RIP routing method has been passed from one connectivity device to another 15 times. What happens when it gets passed to one more device
a. It is discarded.
24. What is the main difference between a Layer 3 switch and a router?
A Layer 3 switch is optimized for fast data handling; a router is optimized for accurate data delivery.