5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Columbian exposition
- Boss Tweed
- George Vanderbilt
- Social Gospel Movement
- a William Tweed, head of Tammany Hall, NYC's powerful democratic political machine in 1868. Between 1868 and 1869 he led the Tweed Reign, a group of corrupt politicians in defrauding the city. Example: Responsible for the construction of the NY court house; actual construction cost $3million. Project cost tax payers $13million.
- b A movement emphasizing the application of Christian principles to social problems
- c Biltmore Estate, many jobs and lots of $ 4 AVL, brought world class artisans 2 AVL, major benefactor
- d An exposition held in Chicago in 1893 to honor the four-hundredth anniversary of Columbus's first voyage; so-called dream of loveliness; visited by over 27 million people; raised American artistic standards and promote city planning; was a revival of classical architectural forms, and a setback for realism.
- e A rundown apartment house barely meeting minimal standards
5 Multiple choice questions
- Urban planner who designed Central Park in New York, and many other such urban green spaces
- The process of urban areas expanding outwards, usually in the form of suburbs, and developing over fertile agricultural land.
- Prominent black American, born into slavery, who believed that racism would end once blacks acquired useful labor skills and proved their economic value to society, was head of the Tuskegee Institute in 1881. His book "Up from Slavery."
- A group of black and white reformers who organized the NAACP in 1909
- The central bank of the United States
5 True/False questions
19th Amendment → A rundown apartment house barely meeting minimal standards
Rutherford B. Hayes → African American journalist. published statistics about lynching, urged African Americans to protest by refusing to ride streetcards or shop in white owned stores
Suffrage → One who spreads real or alleged scandal about another (usually for political advantage)
Central Park → One who spreads real or alleged scandal about another (usually for political advantage)
Rural free delivery → Social reformer who campaigned for womens rights, the temperance, and was an abolitionist, helped form the National Woman Suffrage Assosiation