← poetry authors Test
5 Written Questions
4 Matching Questions
- blank verse
- a famous for creating the "spoils system"
- b bryant was known as the ______ poet
- c he wrote for southern literary messenger and was dismissed for drinking
- d bryant translated the iliad and the odyssey into ______________.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- beGIN... 2 syllables, 1st unaccented and 2nd accented
- "three fifths of him genius and two fifths sheer fudge." -longfellow
- leatherstocking tales included _______, _____________, __________, __________, and the ___________.
- BEAUtiful... 3 syllables, 1st accented and 2nd and 3rd unaccented
- literature from 1800 to 1840
5 True/False Questions
caesuras → pause in a line of poetry for the sake of emphasis
lowell → "to the glory that was greece and the grandeur that was rome."
cooper → 2nd novel was 'the spy'
bryant → wrote for the newspaper, the morning chronicle
jonathan swift and daniel defoe → writers during the age of classicism in england