5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- a father of american poetry
- b BEAUtiful... 3 syllables, 1st accented and 2nd and 3rd unaccented
- c used hudson river valley setting and old dutch families as characters
- d first novel was 'precaution' which was not good at all
- e his final literary work, Eureka, was considered the key to understanding his work
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- poes techniques of writing
- pseudonym used by irving in 'sketchbook'
- wrote the first detective stories
- poetry that contains a definate meter and rhyme
- famous for creating the "spoils system"
5 True/False Questions
sketchbook → MERcy... 2 syllables, 1st accented and 2nd unaccented
poe → poetry that contains neither a meter nor rhyme
diedrech knickerbocker → irving's first book to gain acceptance in US and england and icludes 'rip van winkle' and the 'legend of sleepy hollow'
bryant → translated the iliad and the odyssey into blank verse
poe → he won a prize for "gold bug"