5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Mary Baker Eddie
- Evangelical Religion
- Princeton University
- Billy Sunday
- Church of Christ, Scientist
- a Jesus' love = only reality
Jesus developed "scientific" healing methods
- b refers to a more personal salvation, acceptance of Jesus Christ, the Bible , Grace, and repentance
- c Presbyterians (Pres founded by John Knox)
first "college of New Jersey"
- d revivalist preacher
ranting fundamentalist preacher who attracted and entertained large crowds
- e founded Christian Science
Jesus' love = only reality
recovered suddenly from illness
Wrote the book Science and Health Were the Key to Scripture
5 Multiple choice questions
- Founder Methodist (methodical conscientiousness and discipline)
open-air preaching and organized lay-conducted "societies"
- Council of Trent: called for reform and reconciliation
- "to baptize again"
return to primitive form of Christianity, Parish system
Strict Separation of Church and State
- Interrogation into spread of heresies in the church
brutal and violent..gives church bad name
- First called "Defender of the Church"
then wanted divorce:break of England w/Rome
Supremacy Act: 1534 king=supreme head of Anglican Church (Church of England)
5 True/False questions
Utopianism → Conscious return to classical ideas
renewed importance of the individual
Christian Humanists: focus on original source of scripture, original intent of lang.
Brigham Young → had a special relationship w/tribal spirits
Communicate and maybe control spirits
Sacred status (conflict w/leaders)
Humanism → Impact on Am. Revolution
belief in supreme being but reject divine intervention, sacred texts, and miracles (belief in God nothing more)
result of Enlightenment => extreme rationalism and skepticism
strains: Latitudinarianism, Rationalism
John Calvin → chancellor of Cambridge University, bishop of Rochester; defender of Church vs. Martin Luther and Henry VIII
only bishop to not swear allegiance as kind demanded (therefore beheaded)
Ralph Waldo Emerson → banished from Mass Bay Colony for religious beliefs
founded Providence, RI for dissenters from the "New England Way"