5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Diploma programs are bases on what?
- Why was the growth of BSN programs slow?
- Who is responsible for regulating nursing?
- What 3 factors had an overall historical influence on nursing that still persists in some forms today?
- What is a Certification?
- a shows expertise in certain area rather than minimal competency, voluntary, issued by American Nurses Credentialing Center instead of the government, requires an exam but doesn't necessarily give a higher status or reward
- b Nightingale Model & influenced by war experiences
- c 1. The status of women ("duty" with no economic reward necessary)
2. Religious roots (a calling & not a career)
3. Military influence (obedience to authority)
- d Many thought nursing was technical and not worthy of being in University. Many thought women didn't need liberal education, and many physicians opposed it.
- e THE STATE
5 Multiple choice questions
- nurses be trained and have continuing education, and not rely on "female caring instincts"
- 1. School shortened to 2 years instead of 3 to produce more nurses faster.
2. Nurse's Aides to help meet shortage
- 1. No more private duty nurses due to the lack of funds
2. Closure of many hospital training programs
3. Movement of trained nurses back into hospitals & hospitals now main site of working nurses
- State Boards of Nursing
- Doctoral education; DNP (doctors of nursing practice) only 3 programs exist
5 True/False questions
What did the Brown Report influence? → NLN Accreditation Standards: school must show that students are not used as labor force and that every activity has a defined educational purpose
influences legislation and defines social policy, ethics and standards. Has local, state, and national chapters. considered the "voice of organized nursing" → Graduate Nursing; Master's Degree Programs
the individual is uniquely suited- something you do because you are called to do it, not worried about the pay. → vocation
What was the Brown Report? → predicted battles over title. Researched nursing shortage and set up demonstration programs in community colleges causing AD programs to grow rapidly.
What was the effect of WW I? → management structure of school different from that of hospital to eliminate conflict of interest