-required colonists to purchase special stamped paper for every legal document, license, newspaper..
- Taxed everyone
- Colonists who disobeyed were to be tried tried in the vice- admiralty courts, where convictions were probable
-Parliament persuaded by Prime Minister George Grenville
Stamp Act Protest
- Colony united in defiance
- Boston shopkeepers, artisans, and laborers organized a secret resistance group called the Sons of Liberty
-Founder Sameul Adams ^
- Stamp Act was repelled
- indirect taxes
- duties levied on important materials- glass, lead, paint, paper, tax on tea
- "Taxation without representation" Samuel Adams
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions above and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.