5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Kabuki Theatre
- The Importance of Being Ernest
- Couples in Midsummer Nights Dream
- Renaissance Drama
- a (Japan) Started when female dancer began to give public performances, Elaborate make up, Brilliant costumes
After 1629- men performed in the plays when women were banned, Narrated stories about contemporary life.
- b Between 14 and 15 centuries Italian drama began to replace religious, mystery and morality plays with secular drama.
- c yearly performances dedicated to one actor who would keep all the profits
- d Oscar Wilde (1895)
- e Lysander and Hermia
Helena and Demetrius
Theseus and Hippolyta
Titania and Oberon
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Prose: shows lower status (mechanicals in midsummer nights dream). refers to ordinary speech with no regular pattern of accentual rhythm. Lines of text do not all have the same number of syllables nor is there any discernible pattern of stresses.
- Comedy of professional player.
Highly valued because of the high level of performance.
Stock characters. Improvisation.
- Born 1533 - 1603
The reign of Queen Elizabeth is known as the Elizabethan age in England
The daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, who was executed when Elizabeth was only two, she reigned as Queen of England from 1558 until 1603.
- zanni servant
- (1550-1650) Religious dramas- autos sacramentales
Auto =one act play
Performed during Corpus Christi festival
Combined elements of medieval, morality and mystery plays.
5 True/False Questions
Lazzi → comic pieces of business used repeatedly by characters in Italian commedia dell'arte.
Director's responsibilities → romance and adventure
Cuckold → short versions of full length plays.
Elizabethan Actors (examples) → The large open-air theatres, purpose-built as commercial playhouses, were an innovation of the 1580s, but their open stages and lack of scenery were common to other places the actors would have performed-such as the halls at Court and in great houses, or the innyards they might use when on tour.
Scene Designer → Help set the tone and style of the production
Establishing Locale and Period
Providing a Central Image or Metaphor
Coordinating Scenery with a Whole
Solving Practical Design Problems