5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- sensory cortex
- limbic system
- cerebral cortex
- a ...
- b the inner part of an organ or structure in plant or animal
- c the intricate fabric of interconnected neural cells that covers the cerebral hemispheres; the body's ultimate control and information-processing center.
- d the area at the front of the parietal lobes that registers and processes body touch and movement sensations
- e a system of functionally related neural structures in the brain that are involved in emotional behavior
5 Multiple choice questions
- the large band of neural fibers connecting the two brain hemispheres and carrying messages between them
- limbic system component that regulates hunger, body temperature and other functions
- the part of the brain continuous with the spinal cord and comprising the medulla oblongata and pons and midbrain and parts of the hypothalamus
- a nerve network in the brainstem that plays an important role in controlling arousal.
- the portion of the cerebral cortex lying at the top of the head and toward the rear; receives sensory input for touch and body position
5 True/False questions
PET scan → a series of x-ray photographs taken from different angles and combined by computer into a composite representation of a slice through the body.
split brain → a condition in which the two hemispheres of the brain are isolated by cutting the connecting fibers (mainly those of the corpus callosum) between them
lesion → a technique that enables us to see static images of the brain's structures; uses magnetism to achieve this effect
association areas → controls language expression-an aread of the frontal, usually in the left hemisphere, that directs the muscle movements involved in speech
wenicke's area → controls language reception—a brain area involved in language comprehension and expression; usually in the left temporal lobe (p. 389)