5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Why did the Dawes Act not work?
- Why was Texas a good place to raise cattle?
- What were some of the dangers of mining?
- What was the transcontinental railroad? What two railroad companies joined together?
- What is a tradition?
- a The Dawes Act did not work because Native Americans wanted to keep their own traditions. Also, Native Americans did not want to become farmers.
- b A tradition is the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs from one generation to another.
- c The transcontinental railroad was the railroad that went across the entire continent.
The two railroads that were joined together were the Central Pacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad.
- d Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
- e The flat, grassy land in Texas was a perfect feeding area for raising cattle.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The Grange was a group set up by the farmers to help them get to know each other as well as solve problems together.
- Two of the major problems faced by the farmers were extreme weather and insects.
- The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.
- The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
- Colonel George Custer
5 True/False Questions
What were some of the terms of the Homestead Act? → - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.
Where did the railroad lines meet? → The two railroad lines met at Promontory Point, in Utah.
What were some of the ways the Native Americans used the buffalo? → Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.
What did Sarah Winnemucca do for the Native Americans? → Sarah Winnemucca spoke out for the rights of the Native Americans.
What is a reservation? Why did the Native Americans get forced to live on them? → The Native Americans used the buffalo for food, clothing, shelter and tools.