5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What were some of the problems in Boom Towns?
- What is a reservation? Why did the Native Americans get forced to live on them?
- Why did the Dawes Act not work?
- What was the Grange?
- What did the Homestead Act try to get people to do?
- a The Dawes Act did not work because Native Americans wanted to keep their own traditions. Also, Native Americans did not want to become farmers.
- b The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.
- c A reservation is public land set aside by the government for the use of a particular group of people.
Native Americans were forced to live on the reservations because the settlers moving in pushed them out of their land.
- d Since the towns grew quickly, there were no officers at first. There were thieves, outlaws and dishonest gamblers that broke the law.
- e The Grange was a group set up by the farmers to help them get to know each other as well as solve problems together.
5 Multiple choice questions
- - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.
- Sarah Winnemucca spoke out for the rights of the Native Americans.
- Colonel George Custer
- The transcontinental railroad was the railroad that went across the entire continent.
The two railroads that were joined together were the Central Pacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad.
- A tradition is the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs from one generation to another.
5 True/False questions
Why was Texas a good place to raise cattle? → The flat, grassy land in Texas was a perfect feeding area for raising cattle.
What was the Ghost Dance? → The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
What were Boom Towns? Why did they happen so quickly? → Boom Towns were prospector camps that grew into towns almost overnight. Businesses were set up in order to provide necessary items such as food, clothing, and tools for the miners.
Who fought the Battle of Little Bighorn? Who won the battle? → Colonel George Custer
What were some of the hard times the cowhands faced? → Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.