5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Who fought the Battle of Little Bighorn? Who won the battle?
- What were some of the problems in Boom Towns?
- What were Boom Towns? Why did they happen so quickly?
- What did the Dawes Act try to do?
- What were some of the hard times the cowhands faced?
- a Boom Towns were prospector camps that grew into towns almost overnight. Businesses were set up in order to provide necessary items such as food, clothing, and tools for the miners.
- b The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.
- c The Battle of Little Bighorn was fought between Native Americans (The Lakotas) and the United States Army. The Native Americans defeated Custer in this battle.
- d Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.
- e Since the towns grew quickly, there were no officers at first. There were thieves, outlaws and dishonest gamblers that broke the law.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The two railroad lines met at Promontory Point, in Utah.
- Two of the major problems faced by the farmers were extreme weather and insects.
- A tradition is the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs from one generation to another.
- - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.
- A reservation is public land set aside by the government for the use of a particular group of people.
Native Americans were forced to live on the reservations because the settlers moving in pushed them out of their land.
5 True/False Questions
What were some of the ways the Native Americans used the buffalo? → The Native Americans used the buffalo for food, clothing, shelter and tools.
What did Sarah Winnemucca do for the Native Americans? → The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.
What was the Ghost Dance? → The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
What did the Homestead Act try to get people to do? → The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.
Why was Texas a good place to raise cattle? → The flat, grassy land in Texas was a perfect feeding area for raising cattle.