5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What was the Ghost Dance?
- What were some of the ways the Native Americans used the buffalo?
- What is a reservation? Why did the Native Americans get forced to live on them?
- What were some of the hard times the cowhands faced?
- What were some of the dangers of mining?
- a The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
- b The Native Americans used the buffalo for food, clothing, shelter and tools.
- c A reservation is public land set aside by the government for the use of a particular group of people.
Native Americans were forced to live on the reservations because the settlers moving in pushed them out of their land.
- d Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.
- e Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
5 Multiple choice questions
- - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.
- Boom Towns were prospector camps that grew into towns almost overnight. Businesses were set up in order to provide necessary items such as food, clothing, and tools for the miners.
- Colonel George Custer
- The flat, grassy land in Texas was a perfect feeding area for raising cattle.
- Two of the major problems faced by the farmers were extreme weather and insects.
5 True/False questions
What is a tradition? → A tradition is the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs from one generation to another.
What was the transcontinental railroad? What two railroad companies joined together? → Colonel George Custer
What were some of the problems in Boom Towns? → Two of the major problems faced by the farmers were extreme weather and insects.
What did Sarah Winnemucca do for the Native Americans? → Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
What did the Homestead Act try to get people to do? → The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.