5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What did the Dawes Act try to do?
- What did Sarah Winnemucca do for the Native Americans?
- What was the transcontinental railroad? What two railroad companies joined together?
- What were some of the terms of the Homestead Act?
- Why did the Dawes Act not work?
- a - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.
- b The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.
- c The Dawes Act did not work because Native Americans wanted to keep their own traditions. Also, Native Americans did not want to become farmers.
- d Sarah Winnemucca spoke out for the rights of the Native Americans.
- e The transcontinental railroad was the railroad that went across the entire continent.
The two railroads that were joined together were the Central Pacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The Battle of Little Bighorn was fought between Native Americans (The Lakotas) and the United States Army. The Native Americans defeated Custer in this battle.
- The two railroad lines met at Promontory Point, in Utah.
- Two of the major problems faced by the farmers were extreme weather and insects.
- Colonel George Custer
- Cowhands faced long hours of work.
They had poor sleeping quarters and low pay.
They worked through dust storms, blazing heat, and icy blizzards.
5 True/False Questions
What is a tradition? → The Grange was a group set up by the farmers to help them get to know each other as well as solve problems together.
What were some of the ways the Native Americans used the buffalo? → The Native Americans used the buffalo for food, clothing, shelter and tools.
What did the Homestead Act try to get people to do? → The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.
What was the Ghost Dance? → The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
What was the Grange? → The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.