5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What were some of the terms of the Homestead Act?
- Why did the Dawes Act not work?
- What was the Ghost Dance?
- What was the Grange?
- What were some of the dangers of mining?
- a Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
- b The Ghost Dance was a special dance that was danced to help the Plains Native Americans live peacefully and joyously.
- c - It gave men who were at least 21 years old 160 acres of land.
- The men had to pay $10 dollars for the land.
- They had to settle on the land for five years.
- They had to build a home within six months and grow crops.
- d The Grange was a group set up by the farmers to help them get to know each other as well as solve problems together.
- e The Dawes Act did not work because Native Americans wanted to keep their own traditions. Also, Native Americans did not want to become farmers.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The Native Americans used the buffalo for food, clothing, shelter and tools.
- The Dawes Act, created by reformers, tried to get the Native Americans more rights.
- Colonel George Custer
- The two railroad lines met at Promontory Point, in Utah.
- The transcontinental railroad was the railroad that went across the entire continent.
The two railroads that were joined together were the Central Pacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad.
5 True/False questions
What were some of the problems in Boom Towns? → Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.
What were Boom Towns? Why did they happen so quickly? → Boom Towns were prospector camps that grew into towns almost overnight. Businesses were set up in order to provide necessary items such as food, clothing, and tools for the miners.
What were some of the problems faced by the farmers? → Since the towns grew quickly, there were no officers at first. There were thieves, outlaws and dishonest gamblers that broke the law.
What did the Homestead Act try to get people to do? → The Homestead Act encouraged people to move and settle in the West.
What did Sarah Winnemucca do for the Native Americans? → Some of the dangers of mining were poison gases, cave-ins, and accidents.