5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Coastal Marsh
- a Spanish ___ were enticed by the Spanish colonial government to leave the Canary Islands and settle in Louisiana to reinforce the Spanish presence in the formerly French colony.
- b The Mississippi River runs from Lake ___ in Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico.
- c French, expelled from Canada, moved to south Louisiana
- d A "___ island" forms when the river partially flows through a meander and partially through a "chute cutoff."
- e A wetter cultural subregions of South Louisiana
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The line connecting the deepest part of the river is called a "___."
- The Mississippi River Alluvial Plain includes some elevated areas formed by materials deposited as ___ retreated during the last ice age.
- The cultural subregions of South Louisiana include this flat area.
- German immigrants to New Orleans included Protestants, Catholics, and ___. Many were skilled tradesmen and entrepreneurs.
- In south Louisiana, early ___ immigrants came directly from their homeland and settled on the "___ Coast" area of the Mississippi River to farm, later ___-American immigrants in southwest Louisiana had earlier settled in the Midwestern United States.
5 True/False Questions
Anglo-Americans → First brought to north Louisiana as slaves to work on cotton plantations
French → New Orleans was established by ___ settlers over forty years before the Acadians arrived in South Louisiana.
April → The Mississippi River annually floods. The River is highest in ___ most years. The annual flooding is caused by melting snow and spring rain. The Mississippi River is at its lowest in October.
Spanish → Descendants of the settlers of Texas, mainly in the Zwolle, Louisiana area in north Louisiana.
French → The ___ River is currently a tributary of the Mississippi River, but in the past has gone straight to the Gulf of Mexico.