5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- New Orleans
- Atchafalaya Delta
- meander belt
- a The first known effort to control flooding on the Mississippi River was done by the French as they built ___ in 1717.
- b Today the ___ is over 76 square miles and growing. It is an exception to the coastal erosion on other places in the Deltaic Plain and Chenier Plain.
- c A ___ is the area that was once a river.
- d The Deltaic Plain was formed by the Mississippi River and its ___, the Atchafalaya River as they deposited sediments when their waters slowed down on entering the Gulf of Mexico.
- e Descendants of the settlers of Texas, mainly in the Zwolle, Louisiana area in north Louisiana.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Early ___ immigrants in New Orleans often took on French versions of their last names. They had a mutual aid society in New Orleans by 1843. The largest wave of their immigration was from 1890 to 1910.
- The ___ Entrenchment is the soil deposited around 18,000 years ago when the ice age caused the sea level to drop. The ___ Entrenchment is around 400 feet below the present sea level.
- More ethnically diverse -- cultural gumbo; more associated with the Roman Catholic branch of the Christian faith and Voodoo; historically more engaged in trade and banking
- Today the U.S. ___ prevents changes on the course of the Mississippi River.
- The Mississippi River annually floods. The River is highest in ___ most years. The annual flooding is caused by melting snow and spring rain. The Mississippi River is at its lowest in October.
5 True/False Questions
Chenier Plain → A twenty mile wide strip along the Gulf Coast from Marsh Island to the Sabine River.
African-Americans → Many in New Orleans, slave and free, worked on the docks and as laborers. Some were entrepreneurs and musicians.
Uplands → The older part of Louisiana, formed during the Mesozoic (250 m.y.a. to 65 m.y.a.) and Cenozoic Eras (65 m.y.a to the present).
thalweg → Anglo-American & Scotch-Irish -- many to New Orleans even before the Louisiana purchase to ___ and do business
billion → The Mississippi River discharges 420 ___ gallons of water per day