5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a The ___ Ridge is one elevated area formed by debris deposited by glaciers in the last ice age.
- b German immigrants to New Orleans included Protestants, Catholics, and ___. Many were skilled tradesmen and entrepreneurs.
- c Anglo-American & Scotch-Irish -- many to New Orleans even before the Louisiana purchase to ___ and do business
- d Many in New Orleans, slave and free, worked on the docks and as laborers. Some were entrepreneurs and musicians.
- e Originally meant a person of French ancestry born in a colony. Later it referred to persons of mixed French and African-American heritage.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Today the ___ is over 76 square miles and growing. It is an exception to the coastal erosion on other places in the Deltaic Plain and Chenier Plain.
- Pioneers, many came to north Louisiana to grow cotton before the Civil War
- In south Louisiana, early ___ immigrants came directly from their homeland and settled on the "___ Coast" area of the Mississippi River to farm, later ___-American immigrants in southwest Louisiana had earlier settled in the Midwestern United States.
- The ___ River is currently a tributary of the Mississippi River, but in the past has gone straight to the Gulf of Mexico.
- The non-Acadian ___ were the first European settlers of south Louisiana. They came to trade for pelts with the Native Americans and grow sugar cane.
5 True/False questions
Irish → The Mississippi River runs from Lake ___ in Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico.
Pleistocene → The ___ Entrenchment is the soil deposited around 18,000 years ago when the ice age caused the sea level to drop. The ___ Entrenchment is around 400 feet below the present sea level.
thalweg → Anglo-American & Scotch-Irish -- many to New Orleans even before the Louisiana purchase to ___ and do business
Oxbow → ___ control is an ongoing struggle on the Mississippi River Alluvial Plain.
Greater New Orleans → The first known effort to control flooding on the Mississippi River was done by the French as they built ___ in 1717.