5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a The ___ are deltas formed as the Mississippi River switched its route to the Gulf.
- b Spanish ___ were enticed by the Spanish colonial government to leave the Canary Islands and settle in Louisiana to reinforce the Spanish presence in the formerly French colony.
- c The ___ River is currently a tributary of the Mississippi River, but in the past has gone straight to the Gulf of Mexico.
- d Also pioneers, many of these Celtic people came to north Louisiana to grow cotton before the Civil War
- e African-Americans were originally brought to south Louisiana as slaves, many were freed under ___ law,
5 Multiple choice questions
- ___ control is an ongoing struggle on the Mississippi River Alluvial Plain.
- The ___ Hills were formed by material left behind by glaciers.
- The ___ were formed in the Holocene Epoch, at the end of the last ice age, when glaciers melted and sea levels rose.
- A twenty mile wide strip along the Gulf Coast from Marsh Island to the Sabine River.
- German immigrants to New Orleans included Protestants, Catholics, and ___. Many were skilled tradesmen and entrepreneurs.
5 True/False questions
towhead → A "___ island" forms when the river partially flows through a meander and partially through a "chute cutoff."
Pleistocene → The ___ Entrenchment is the soil deposited around 18,000 years ago when the ice age caused the sea level to drop. The ___ Entrenchment is around 400 feet below the present sea level.
French → Originally meant a person of French ancestry born in a colony. Later it referred to persons of mixed French and African-American heritage.
Deltaic Plain → A twenty mile wide strip along the Gulf Coast from Marsh Island to the Sabine River.
Irish → ___ immigrants were hired to dig canals because the work was considered too dangerous for expensive slaves.