5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- South Louisiana
- a The Mississippi River discharges 420 ___ gallons of water per day
- b The ___ Entrenchment is the soil deposited around 18,000 years ago when the ice age caused the sea level to drop. The ___ Entrenchment is around 400 feet below the present sea level.
- c First brought to north Louisiana as slaves to work on cotton plantations
- d More ethnically French; more associated with the Roman Catholic branch of the Christian faith; historically more engaged in sugar cane farming.
- e Many in New Orleans, slave and free, worked on the docks and as laborers. Some were entrepreneurs and musicians.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- ___ immigrants were hired to dig canals because the work was considered too dangerous for expensive slaves.
- The first European settlers of north Louisiana. Settled around Natchitoches.
- Originally meant a person of French ancestry born in a colony. Later it referred to persons of mixed French and African-American heritage.
- A wetter cultural subregions of South Louisiana
- French, expelled from Canada, moved to south Louisiana
5 True/False Questions
lobes → German immigrants to New Orleans included Protestants, Catholics, and ___. Many were skilled tradesmen and entrepreneurs.
April → ___ immigrants were hired to dig canals because the work was considered too dangerous for expensive slaves.
thalweg → Anglo-American & Scotch-Irish -- many to New Orleans even before the Louisiana purchase to ___ and do business
Spanish → The older part of Louisiana, formed during the Mesozoic (250 m.y.a. to 65 m.y.a.) and Cenozoic Eras (65 m.y.a to the present).
consequences → The impacts of human inhabitants may be deliberate or accidental. Many human attempts at changing the landscape have unintended ___.