5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Air conditioning
- New Orleans
- sugar cane
- a ___ was established to enable the French to control trade on the Mississippi River. It remains a major American port city.
- b ___ and refrigeration made life in the hot and humid city of New Orleans more bearable.
- c The French created ___ plantations and brought the first African slaves into Louisiana to work in the cane fields.
- d ___ prevented the Mississippi River from flooding the city.
- e Improvements in public health and medicine reduced disease-related fears of living in the ___ environment of New Orleans.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Just as the Protestant branch of Christianity was dominant in north Louisiana, the ___ branch of Christianity is predominant in south Louisiana.
- Both the Spanish and French nations are historically associated with the ___ faith.
- Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
- The original French pioneers were ___.
- ___ invented steamboats powerful enough to go up the Mississippi River and crane-boats to open the log jam on the Red River, railroads.
5 True/False questions
Anglo-Americans → Many ___ moved west into north Louisiana to raise cotton.
Eli Whitney → Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
Voodoo → The first off-shore oil rig was built on ___ Lake.
electric pumps → The original French pioneers were ___.
Catholic → The original French pioneers were ___.