5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Air conditioning
- Roman Catholic
- Norbert Rillieux
- a ___ and refrigeration made life in the hot and humid city of New Orleans more bearable.
- b ___ prevented the Mississippi River from flooding the city.
- c ___invented the process to refine chunky turbinado crystals into refined white sugar.
- d Places shape people as they adapt to various ___.
- e Just as the Protestant branch of Christianity was dominant in north Louisiana, the ___ branch of Christianity is predominant in south Louisiana.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The cotton gin, invented by ___, increased demand for land for cotton farming.
- Africans forced into slavery in Haiti were coerced into adopting Roman Catholicism. However, they blended Catholic saints with old African gods and formed ___. It arrived in New Orleans with refugees from a slave revolt in Haiti.
- Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
- Often African-Americans were brought into north Louisiana as slaves to labor on the ___ plantations.
- The original French pioneers were ___.
5 True/False questions
Anglo-Americans → Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
Roman Catholic → Both the Spanish and French nations are historically associated with the ___ faith.
pelts → ___ prevented the Mississippi River from flooding the city.
semi-tropical → The original French pioneers were ___.
Native American → Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.