5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a ___ prevented the Mississippi River from flooding the city.
- b ___ made the commute from the Garden District to Downtown faster and encouraged the development of residential districts around New Orleans.
- c The ___ were Canadians expelled by the British. They came after the original wave of French immigration.
- d The ___ branch of Christianity arrived first in north Louisiana at Natchitoches and Los Adaes.
- e New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
- North Louisiana has historically been more associated with the ___ branch of the Christian faith, though other faiths have long been represented in the region.
- The original French pioneers were ___.
- Off-shore ___ rigs in the Gulf of Mexico brought ___ refining to South Louisiana in the 1960s.
- ___ and refrigeration made life in the hot and humid city of New Orleans more bearable.
5 True/False questions
Native American → Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
pelts → The original business of Louisiana was the trade in ___ between the French and Native Americans.
Anglo-Americans → Many ___ moved west into north Louisiana to raise cotton.
Norbert Rillieux → ___invented the process to refine chunky turbinado crystals into refined white sugar.
Eli Whitney → The cotton gin, invented by ___, increased demand for land for cotton farming.