5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- sugar cane
- Roman Catholic
- a Both the Spanish and French nations are historically associated with the ___ faith.
- b The ___ were Canadians expelled by the British. They came after the original wave of French immigration.
- c Many ___ moved west into north Louisiana to raise cotton.
- d Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
- e The French created ___ plantations and brought the first African slaves into Louisiana to work in the cane fields.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Improvements in public health and medicine reduced disease-related fears of living in the ___ environment of New Orleans.
- New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.
- ___invented the process to refine chunky turbinado crystals into refined white sugar.
- Africans forced into slavery in Haiti were coerced into adopting Roman Catholicism. However, they blended Catholic saints with old African gods and formed ___. It arrived in New Orleans with refugees from a slave revolt in Haiti.
- The first off-shore oil rig was built on ___ Lake.
5 True/False Questions
Native American → Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
electric pumps → Places shape people as they adapt to various ___.
cotton → The first off-shore oil rig was built on ___ Lake.
pelts → The original business of Louisiana was the trade in ___ between the French and Native Americans.
oil → Off-shore ___ rigs in the Gulf of Mexico brought ___ refining to South Louisiana in the 1960s.