5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Henry Miller Shreve
- Air conditioning
- Eli Whitney
- a New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.
- b ___ invented steamboats powerful enough to go up the Mississippi River and crane-boats to open the log jam on the Red River, railroads.
- c ___ and refrigeration made life in the hot and humid city of New Orleans more bearable.
- d The cotton gin, invented by ___, increased demand for land for cotton farming.
- e ___ made the commute from the Garden District to Downtown faster and encouraged the development of residential districts around New Orleans.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The original French pioneers were ___.
- The first off-shore oil rig was built on ___ Lake.
- The French created ___ plantations and brought the first African slaves into Louisiana to work in the cane fields.
- Places shape people as they adapt to various ___.
- The original business of Louisiana was the trade in ___ between the French and Native Americans.
5 True/False questions
Protestant → Often African-Americans were brought into north Louisiana as slaves to labor on the ___ plantations.
Voodoo → Africans forced into slavery in Haiti were coerced into adopting Roman Catholicism. However, they blended Catholic saints with old African gods and formed ___. It arrived in New Orleans with refugees from a slave revolt in Haiti.
Roman Catholic → The ___ branch of Christianity arrived first in north Louisiana at Natchitoches and Los Adaes.
Anglo-Americans → Many ___ moved west into north Louisiana to raise cotton.
Catholic → The original French pioneers were ___.