5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Norbert Rillieux
- Henry Miller Shreve
- a The ___ were Canadians expelled by the British. They came after the original wave of French immigration.
- b The original business of Louisiana was the trade in ___ between the French and Native Americans.
- c New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.
- d ___invented the process to refine chunky turbinado crystals into refined white sugar.
- e ___ invented steamboats powerful enough to go up the Mississippi River and crane-boats to open the log jam on the Red River, railroads.
5 Multiple choice questions
- North Louisiana has historically been more associated with the ___ branch of the Christian faith, though other faiths have long been represented in the region.
- The French created ___ plantations and brought the first African slaves into Louisiana to work in the cane fields.
- The ___ branch of Christianity arrived first in north Louisiana at Natchitoches and Los Adaes.
- The cotton gin, invented by ___, increased demand for land for cotton farming.
- Both the Spanish and French nations are historically associated with the ___ faith.
5 True/False questions
Caddo → Africans forced into slavery in Haiti were coerced into adopting Roman Catholicism. However, they blended Catholic saints with old African gods and formed ___. It arrived in New Orleans with refugees from a slave revolt in Haiti.
Trolleys → ___ made the commute from the Garden District to Downtown faster and encouraged the development of residential districts around New Orleans.
New Orleans → ___ was established to enable the French to control trade on the Mississippi River. It remains a major American port city.
Anglo-Americans → Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
Native American → Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.