5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Air conditioning
- Eli Whitney
- a ___ made the commute from the Garden District to Downtown faster and encouraged the development of residential districts around New Orleans.
- b The ___ branch of Christianity arrived first in north Louisiana at Natchitoches and Los Adaes.
- c ___ and refrigeration made life in the hot and humid city of New Orleans more bearable.
- d The cotton gin, invented by ___, increased demand for land for cotton farming.
- e The original French pioneers were ___.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Though established by the French under ___ in 1718, New Orleans has long been home to many ethnic groups that form its unique cultural gumbo.
- Places shape people as they adapt to various ___.
- ___ invented steamboats powerful enough to go up the Mississippi River and crane-boats to open the log jam on the Red River, railroads.
- Areas once uninhabitable around Uptown and the French Quarter were made livable by ___.
- Improvements in public health and medicine reduced disease-related fears of living in the ___ environment of New Orleans.
5 True/False Questions
Protestant → Often African-Americans were brought into north Louisiana as slaves to labor on the ___ plantations.
oil → Off-shore ___ rigs in the Gulf of Mexico brought ___ refining to South Louisiana in the 1960s.
pelts → ___ prevented the Mississippi River from flooding the city.
sugar cane → The ___ were Canadians expelled by the British. They came after the original wave of French immigration.
banking → New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.