5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- New Orleans
- Native American
- a Africans forced into slavery in Haiti were coerced into adopting Roman Catholicism. However, they blended Catholic saints with old African gods and formed ___. It arrived in New Orleans with refugees from a slave revolt in Haiti.
- b ___ was established to enable the French to control trade on the Mississippi River. It remains a major American port city.
- c Africans were imported as slaves because ___ slaves died from smallpox or escaped into familiar country.
- d The original French pioneers were ___.
- e Often African-Americans were brought into north Louisiana as slaves to labor on the ___ plantations.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- North Louisiana has historically been more associated with the ___ branch of the Christian faith, though other faiths have long been represented in the region.
- Areas once uninhabitable around Uptown and the French Quarter were made livable by ___.
- The ___ were Canadians expelled by the British. They came after the original wave of French immigration.
- Improvements in public health and medicine reduced disease-related fears of living in the ___ environment of New Orleans.
- ___ invented steamboats powerful enough to go up the Mississippi River and crane-boats to open the log jam on the Red River, railroads.
5 True/False Questions
Norbert Rillieux → ___invented the process to refine chunky turbinado crystals into refined white sugar.
Catholic → The original French pioneers were ___.
Levees → The original business of Louisiana was the trade in ___ between the French and Native Americans.
oil → Off-shore ___ rigs in the Gulf of Mexico brought ___ refining to South Louisiana in the 1960s.
Bienville → New Orleans has long been a center of ___ serving the agricultural and later industrial sectors of Louisiana's economy.