5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Open-field farming
- Eli Whitney
- Henry Court
- Ten Hours Act
- Edwin Chadwick
- a Made the puddling process
- b The ten hours act of 1847 limited the workday for women and young people in factories to ten hour. This was an effort of the Tory party to gain support from the working class.
- c one-half and one-third of village land fallow so nutrients restored for next year. Communal rather than individual
- d United States inventor of the mechanical cotton gin (1765-1825)
- e This was a public health official who wrote reports on the poor living conditions of the cities and believed that poverty was caused by illnesses
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- In order to combat the issue of not having food/water for animals, farmed flood low-lying land near streams in the winter to prevent ground from freezing and then drained the water which produce an early grass for animals to eat
- The transformation of farming that resulted in the eighteenth century from the spread of new crops, improvements in cultivation techniques and livestock breeding, and consolidation of small holdings into large farms from which tenants were expelled.
- Manufacturing based in homes rather than in a factory, commonly found before the Industrial Revolution. Families used their own equipment.
- Parliament, controlled by landowners, passed these to encourage improved methods of cultivation and stock-raising to increase productivity(Agricultural Revolution). `The old village system was an obstacle to these so in the 18th century the squirearchy was able to ensure that more of the common land would come under private ownership - by the already landed wealthy. Enclosure reached its height in the Napoleonic wars. Led to the increased productivity of land and labor but also released labor for other wage earning pursuits(became available as factory workers).
- external-combustion engine in which heat is used to raise steam which either turns a turbine or forces a piston to move up and down in a cylinder
5 True/False Questions
James Watt → Act by Parliament that prohibited underground work for women and boys under the age of ten. This furthered the gender divide in the working classes.
Puddling → process in which coke derived from coal is used to burn away impurities in crude iron to produce high quality iron
Samuel Crompton → 1779, a Brit who combined the best features of the spinning jenny with the water frame -> spinning mule/Crompton's mule.
Fodder crops → Established a principle of communal regulation to improve the work and character of his employees., Welsh industrialist and social reformer who founded cooperative communities (1771-1858)
The Mines Act → Act by Parliament that prohibited underground work for women and boys under the age of ten. This furthered the gender divide in the working classes.