5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- The Rocket
- Putting-out system
- George Stevenson
- Abraham Darby
- a Built the world's first railroad line and he designed and built 4 locomotives that were used. Father of the modern railroad.
- b process in which coke derived from coal is used to burn away impurities in crude iron to produce high quality iron
- c In 1709, he used coal to smelt iron, or separate iron from its ore. When he discovered that coal gave off impurities that damaged the iron; he found a way to remove the impurities from coal, leading to better quality/ cheaper iron.
- d System which was basically an assembly line which made goods easy to manufacture and cheaper to create. Took less time, made guilds obsolete. Mobilization of the rural labor force for commercial production of large quantities of manufactured goods
- e Stevenson's engine that won him a prize in 1829. Pulled a load 3x it's own weight at 30 mph, could outrun a horse.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Manufacturing based in homes rather than in a factory, commonly found before the Industrial Revolution. Families used their own equipment.
- United States inventor of the mechanical cotton gin (1765-1825)
- Act by Parliament that prohibited underground work for women and boys under the age of ten. This furthered the gender divide in the working classes.
- 1779, a Brit who combined the best features of the spinning jenny with the water frame -> spinning mule/Crompton's mule.
- In order to combat the issue of not having food/water for animals, farmed flood low-lying land near streams in the winter to prevent ground from freezing and then drained the water which produce an early grass for animals to eat
5 True/False Questions
Contagious Disease Act of 1864 → Allowed medical officers and inspectors to enter homes and businesses in the name of public health. The state could condemn private property for posing health hazards.
Enclosure Acts → Parliament, controlled by landowners, passed these to encourage improved methods of cultivation and stock-raising to increase productivity(Agricultural Revolution). `The old village system was an obstacle to these so in the 18th century the squirearchy was able to ensure that more of the common land would come under private ownership - by the already landed wealthy. Enclosure reached its height in the Napoleonic wars. Led to the increased productivity of land and labor but also released labor for other wage earning pursuits(became available as factory workers).
Steam engine → United States inventor of the mechanical cotton gin (1765-1825)
Henry Court → Stevenson's engine that won him a prize in 1829. Pulled a load 3x it's own weight at 30 mph, could outrun a horse.
Agricultural Revolution → The transformation of farming that resulted in the eighteenth century from the spread of new crops, improvements in cultivation techniques and livestock breeding, and consolidation of small holdings into large farms from which tenants were expelled.