5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The Rocket
- Edwin Chadwick
- Factory Act
- James Watt
- Josiah Wedgwood
- a English industrialist whose pottery works were the first to produce fine-quality pottery by industrial methods.
- b Scottish engineer and inventor whose improvements in the steam engine led to its wide use in industry (1736-1819)
- c Stevenson's engine that won him a prize in 1829. Pulled a load 3x it's own weight at 30 mph, could outrun a horse.
- d This was a public health official who wrote reports on the poor living conditions of the cities and believed that poverty was caused by illnesses
- e Created factory workday for children between 9-13 to 8 hours a day. Not applicable to home. Outlawed child labor under 9-factory owners establish schools. Destroyed family unit.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The Act of 1864 stated that women found to be infected could be interned in locked hospitals for up to three months, a period gradually extended to one year with the 1869 Act. These measures were justified by medical and military officials as the most effective method to shield men from venereal disease.
- Allowed medical officers and inspectors to enter homes and businesses in the name of public health. The state could condemn private property for posing health hazards.
- Plants that are grown for animals to feed off so they can stay in pens.
- Parliament, controlled by landowners, passed these to encourage improved methods of cultivation and stock-raising to increase productivity(Agricultural Revolution). `The old village system was an obstacle to these so in the 18th century the squirearchy was able to ensure that more of the common land would come under private ownership - by the already landed wealthy. Enclosure reached its height in the Napoleonic wars. Led to the increased productivity of land and labor but also released labor for other wage earning pursuits(became available as factory workers).
- one-half and one-third of village land fallow so nutrients restored for next year. Communal rather than individual
5 True/False questions
The Mines Act → Act by Parliament that prohibited underground work for women and boys under the age of ten. This furthered the gender divide in the working classes.
Abraham Darby → Scottish engineer and inventor whose improvements in the steam engine led to its wide use in industry (1736-1819)
Samuel Crompton → Plants that are grown for animals to feed off so they can stay in pens.
Ten Hours Act → The ten hours act of 1847 limited the workday for women and young people in factories to ten hour. This was an effort of the Tory party to gain support from the working class.
Puddling → process in which coke derived from coal is used to burn away impurities in crude iron to produce high quality iron