5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- proprietary colony
- Massachusettes Bay Company
- Roger Williams
- a English colony in which the king gave land to proprietors in exchange for a yearly payment
- b He founded Rhode Island for separation of Church and State. He believed that the Puritans were too powerful and was ordered to leave the Massachusetts Bay Colony for his religious beliefs.
- c Company formed in 1629 by puritans to start a colony in America.
- d Wealthy landowners in the New Netherlands who got large estates by bringing 50 settlers.
- e A religious group who wanted to purify the Church of England. They came to America for religious freedom and settled Massachusetts Bay.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- an uprising in 1676 in the Virginia Colony, led by Nathaniel Bacon. It was the first rebellion in the American colonies in which discontented frontiersmen took part; a similar uprising in Maryland occurred later that year. The uprising was a protest against the governor of Virginia, William Berkeley.
- religious group who settled Pennsylvania - very tolerant and nonviolent
- valuable crop grown in the Carolinas that was traded around the world
- A Puritan minister who led about 100 settlers out of Massachusetts Bay to Connecticut because he believed that the governor and other officials had too much power. He wanted to set up a colony in Connecticut with strict limits on government.
- Founder and governor of the Georgia colony. He ran a tightly-disciplined, military-like colony. Slaves, alcohol, and Catholicism were forbidden in his colony. Many colonists felt that Oglethorpe was a dictator, and that (along with the colonist's dissatisfaction over not being allowed to own slaves) caused the colony to break down and Oglethorpe to lose his position as governor.
5 True/False Questions
Number of Children a Puritan family had → from King Charles' brother the Duke of York
Pilgrims → group of people who, in 1620, founded the colony of Plymouth Massachusetts to escape religious persecution in England
Toleration → Recognition that other people have the right to different opinions
Where did New York get its name? → from King Charles' brother the Duke of York
Sabbath → a holy day for rest and worship