5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Roger Williams
- Fundamental Orders of Connecticut
- cash crops
- a Recognition that other people have the right to different opinions
- b First Constitution written in America - limited the governor's power in Connecticut, allowed non church members to vote
- c He founded Rhode Island for separation of Church and State. He believed that the Puritans were too powerful and was ordered to leave the Massachusetts Bay Colony for his religious beliefs.
- d Wealthy landowners in the New Netherlands who got large estates by bringing 50 settlers.
- e crops grown and sold for money such as tobacco
5 Multiple choice questions
- American colonist (born in England) who was banished from Boston for her religious views (1591-1643)
- A religious group who wanted to purify the Church of England. They came to America for religious freedom and settled Massachusetts Bay.
- from King Charles' brother the Duke of York
- Company formed in 1629 by puritans to start a colony in America.
- 1588-1649 First governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630.
5 True/False questions
Carolina Rice → valuable crop grown in the Carolinas that was traded around the world
Quakers → religious group who settled Pennsylvania - very tolerant and nonviolent
Thomas Hooker → A Puritan minister who led about 100 settlers out of Massachusetts Bay to Connecticut because he believed that the governor and other officials had too much power. He wanted to set up a colony in Connecticut with strict limits on government.
James Oglethorpe → Founder and governor of the Georgia colony. He ran a tightly-disciplined, military-like colony. Slaves, alcohol, and Catholicism were forbidden in his colony. Many colonists felt that Oglethorpe was a dictator, and that (along with the colonist's dissatisfaction over not being allowed to own slaves) caused the colony to break down and Oglethorpe to lose his position as governor.
Sabbath → Wealthy landowners in the New Netherlands who got large estates by bringing 50 settlers.