5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Roger Williams
- William Penn
- Where did New York get its name?
- Thomas Hooker
- John Winthrop
- a He founded Rhode Island for separation of Church and State. He believed that the Puritans were too powerful and was ordered to leave the Massachusetts Bay Colony for his religious beliefs.
- b A Puritan minister who led about 100 settlers out of Massachusetts Bay to Connecticut because he believed that the governor and other officials had too much power. He wanted to set up a colony in Connecticut with strict limits on government.
- c Penn, an English Quaker, founded Pennsylvania in 1682, after receiving a charter from King Charles II the year before. He launched the colony as a "holy experiment" based on religious tolerance.
- d from King Charles' brother the Duke of York
- e 1588-1649 First governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A religious group who wanted to purify the Church of England. They came to America for religious freedom and settled Massachusetts Bay.
- Wealthy landowners in the New Netherlands who got large estates by bringing 50 settlers.
- a holy day for rest and worship
- American colonist (born in England) who was banished from Boston for her religious views (1591-1643)
5 True/False Questions
cash crops → crops grown and sold for money such as tobacco
Massachusettes Bay Company → English colony in which the king gave land to proprietors in exchange for a yearly payment
Pilgrims → group of people who, in 1620, founded the colony of Plymouth Massachusetts to escape religious persecution in England
Toleration → Recognition that other people have the right to different opinions
Bacon's Rebellion → valuable crop grown in the Carolinas that was traded around the world