← Nine Weeks Exam Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Alfred Thayer Mahan
- What was the Fourteen Points Plan?
- How did the Gilded Age affect women and minorities?
- What terms and/or phases can be used to describe the Rise to World Power Era in U.S. history?
- Dollar Diplomacy
- a A plan, issued by Pres. Wilson, to try and get the world back together after the War. Led to the formation of the League of Nations, in which the U.S. did not join.
- b • Expansionism
o Guam, Hawaii, Philippines, Puerto Rico
• Latin America
o Panama Canal
• World War I
o Woodrow Wilson
o League of Nations
o Total war
o Technological advances
- c Wrote a book on the importance of building a strong navy
- d Many women work in factories that made textiles, tended to be young and single, lower wages than men Nativists opposed immigrants, exclusion from housing employment, public education played large role in assimilation of immigrants.
- e Taft encouraged investment by US banks and businesses in Latin America and Far East. Promised military protection to those who invested abroad.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- South and east Europe (Italy, Russia, Poland, Czech)-east coast in the cities China-west coast
- US became a world power
US gained Guam, Puerto Rico, Philippines
- Early leader in the women's right movement. Was influential in getting women the right to vote (19th)
- • Agriculture
o McCormick Reaper, steel plow, need to increase agricultural output to feed population, canned food
o Machine guns, airplanes, submarines, mines (sea and land), gas, tanks, radar, poison gas
o Vaccines-polio, pasteurization, plasma, antibiotics
- The government did not get involved in business. Little regulation, allows market to set itself (supply and demand)
5 True/False Questions
Open Door Policy → Sec. of State John Hay's economic policy in China giving the imperial powers equal trading rights in the country
What does it mean when it is said that the U.S. tried to "Americanize" Native Americans and Immigrant children? → NA children were taken away from their homes and raised in boarding schools to make them more white
Immigrants were sent to school to learn English and patriotism
Nativism → Cause: Increase of immigration, "natives" worried the immigrants would take their jobs
Effect: Discrimination, KKK flourished
Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 → Restricted immigration of Chinese into the US. It was enacted in response to economic fears where Native born Americans believed that unemployment and low wages were the result of Chinese workers
Jane Addams → Co-founder of the Hull House which helped new immigrant women with job skills, education and artistic programs to become more successful and productive citizens