5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Which of the following best describes putting on a sterile surgical gown?
a. If folded correctly it is possible to pick up and put on your sterile gown without touching it.
b. An assistant should reach over your shoulder to grab the ties of the gown.
c. You must always glove before touching your sterile gown.
d. You should pick up your sterile gown from inside the sleeves only.
- T or F Open gloving cannot be down when wearing a sterile surgical gown.
- T or F When performing a surgical scrub it is important to scrub your hands and arms vigorously with the scrub brush.
- This insion can be performed on a standing or recumbant animal
- T or F The surgery table needs to be positioned on the lowest setting to facilitate lifting the patient onto the table.
- a d
- b F
- c flank incision
- d F (The important thing is contact time with the antiseptic scrub - it is important to ensure the antiseptic has enough time to kill bacteria on the skin surface (generally about 5 minutes of contact time is needed)- you do not need to scrub vigorously. Over zealous scrubbing can damage the skin and may actually expose microbes from deeper tissues layers to surface.)
- e T
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- paracostal incision
- betadine scrub
5 True/False Questions
T or F It is okay to see some undraped table between the patient and the mayo stand → T ( Although most important for a spay to increase the space in the abdomen, if any animal urinates during surgery it will soak the drapes and could cause strike through.)
When clipping the patient for surgical prep if it is done improperly it can result in _______ , which can cause a lot of irritation to the patient → clipper burn
Place the following steps of the surgical scrub in the correct order by matching to the corresponding step number (#1 being the first step).
a) scrub other arm from wrist to half way down forearm b) scrub first hand starting with finger tips c) scrub first arm from wrist to half way down forearm
d) scrub other hand starting with finger tips
e) scrub from halfway down to elbow both arms f) pick finger nails
g) perform social scrub → g, f, b, d, c, a, e
When a sterile member of the surgical team is performing their scrub prior to surgery the contact time with the antiseptic must be how long (ie. how long should a surgical scrub take)? → g, f, b, d, c, a, e
This incision may start and stop anywhere from sternum to pelvic brim → paracostal incision