5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- major-minor tonality
- thematic development
- word painting
- absolute music
- a musical expansion of a theme by varying its melodic outline, harmony, or rhythm.
- b principle of organization around a tonic pitch, major is raised half a step in its third degree
- c German comic opera
- d Music that is independent of words, drama, visual images, or any kind of representational aspects.
- e musical representation of specific poetic images
5 Multiple choice questions
- The German word for "sensitiveness." In music, the term was used to describe the emotional music popular in the mid-eighteenth century
- the division of the scale based on an octave that is divided into twelve exactly equal semitones
- a musical passage moving from one key to another
- interlude of intermediate section in the baroque fugue that serves as an area of relaxation between statements of the subject
- congregational hymn of the german lutheran church
5 True/False questions
the patronage system → sponsorship of an artist or a musician, historically by a member of a wealthy or ruling class.
multi-movement cycle → usually 3 or 4 movements in a symphony, sonata, string quartet, or concerto, in prescribed forms and tempos and employed in various genres
basso continuo → ornate; highly decorated
castrato → a musical phrase repeated over and over during a composition
the viennese school → First polyphonic music composed with measured rhythem = Leonin and Perotin are composers