5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- BLUP Models
- Gene Combination Value
- Genetic Variation
- Repeated Traits
- a Variability of BV for a trait in the population. The greater the genetic variation, the greater the difference between superior and inferior animals.
- b Measure of the strength of the relationship between repeated records for a trait in a population.
- c Important for individual performance
- d Best Linear Unbiased Prediction. Enables large scale genetic evaluation.
- e Traits for which individual animals have multiple performance records. (milk production, calf weaning weight)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Calculate a combined "breeding value" based on several traits.
- Time required to replace on generation with the next generation. Shorter interval = faster rate of genetic change.
- Training, permanent injury, developmental programming.
- Nutrition, track conditions, illnesses
- Rate at which selected individuals replace existing parents in the population.
5 True/False Questions
Selection Intensity → Strictness of selection criteria.
Characteristics of Heritability → -influences resemblance among relatives
-influences accuracy of selection and rate of genetic change
Accuracy of Selection → Selection based on performance above a certain level.
Producing Ability → Measure of the strength of the relationship between P and BV for a trait in a population.
Contemporary Grouping → Ratio of individual performance compared to contemporary group mean.